Turkey Breast Bonless

Started by chiefbuz, June 23, 2011, 07:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefbuz

I have a question on average cook times to smoke/cook 3 boneless turkey breasts around 3 lbs each.  I have a dual probe thermometer, so i will have to keep swapping for IT of each breast.  Is the IT of 160 a good time to pull them and FTC?  Should i swap them during cooking?  We are just putting rub on them and cooking them, not brining at all.  I have smoked only a brisket on my new DBS and i have learned a lot from this forum.  Outside temp will be 90 degrees.
Thanks for any advice/suggestions you have.

chiefbuz

Does anybody know why i have not received any replies to my post?  Wondering if i did something wrong.  Thanks

squirtthecat

Actually, I just saw it now that you've replied to it!

Yes, pull at IT of 160° and let rest for a while.  Those little 3 pound roasts are already pumped with a salt solution, so no need to brine.   And yes, you might want to rotate the racks once or twice so they get the even heat.

Cook time?  Maybe 4 hours..    Maybe longer.    Just go by IT to be safe.

You can even hang them from the netting if you like.

squirtthecat

And for smoke, I wouldn't go over 2 hours for this first time...    Poultry is a sponge.

ghost9mm

chiefbuz...You have received some really great information from Squirt...and sorry that we missed your post, good luck with your turkey breast...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

freakaccident

I smoked a 9 lb bone in turkey breast today and it took 6.75 hours at 225* to hit 160* IT.  I ran with 3 hours of smoke.  I used the Auber PID and just glanced at the temp occasionally.  I'm not sure how a boneless breast will do but I'm can't imagine it would be much different.

chiefbuz

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.  By the time i read it, all was done.  They came out very good.  I actually smoked for 3 hours without the oven on and then cooked on 240 for 3 1/2 hours.  The smallest one i pulled at 154 IT and it was done.  I FTC'd at that time.  I pulled the others at 153 IT and they were done all the way.  I FTC'd about 45 minutes.  They were all excellent!  I used cherry for smoke and also smoked some sausage for my son's future father-in-law.  That turned out excellent and i will be doing that next.  This smoker is great!  Thanks again for the info.  There is some great information on this forum.
Happy Smokin'.

ghost9mm

Well really glad to hear that everything worked out for you...enjoy the fruits of your labor...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

freakaccident

Quote from: ghost9mm on June 26, 2011, 03:13:21 PM
Well really glad to hear that everything worked out for you...enjoy the fruits of your labor...

Nice job!