DBS smoker side will not turn on

Started by Jetech, June 11, 2011, 05:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetech

Been having a problem with my 4-rack digital. The smoker side of the controller will not power up. It's done this for some time, but I have been able to move the puck advance unit and get it to power on. I no longer can do that, so maybe the motor is dead. My basic question is, will a fault in the motor cause the panel to not allow the smoker to power on? I've got to call Bradley Monday about the problem and parts, but was wondering if the motor would cause this issue.

Thanks
Tim

WideGlideMike00

Quote from: Jetech on June 11, 2011, 05:18:44 PM
Been having a problem with my 4-rack digital. The smoker side of the controller will not power up. It's done this for some time, but I have been able to move the puck advance unit and get it to power on. I no longer can do that, so maybe the motor is dead. My basic question is, will a fault in the motor cause the panel to not allow the smoker to power on? I've got to call Bradley Monday about the problem and parts, but was wondering if the motor would cause this issue.

Thanks
Tim
A flying leap guess: Have you checked the fuse?

Habanero Smoker

The digital does have safety features that will not allow the element to heat up if there is a problem. Generally the display will light up and indicate an "E" or "E1" error.

After checking the fuse you may want to review some trouble shooting tips:
Bradley FAQ's

While waiting to call on Monday, you may want to try some trouble shooting in the mean time.  Sometimes Brian from Bradley monitor's the forum and may provide some assistants.

Have you checked and rechecked all connections, especially the sensor wire and connector - checking to make sure all the pins are present and there is no debris causing a poor connection?

Have you opened the generator and/or check the drive guide to make sure there is nothing blocking the movement of the motor or drive?

Does the motor make any noise at all?

If you open the generator, unplug the bisquette burner, then plug in the generator to see if the display works? If it does you bisquette burner is bad or the connection was not good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jetech

The fuse is good, as the oven side would not power up without it. The digital readout on the left/smoker side does not come on and there is no error code being displayed. I took it apart yesterday and checked the connectors, all seemed good. There is no noise or movement from the advance motor, but without the panel showing power like smoke time, there is no power to the motor or the bisquette burner. I may take it apart again to see where this microswitch is at, maybe a fault in that is preventing the smoker from being able to power up on the panel.

Thanks for the ideas and things to check.

Tim

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Tim

Your problem could be caused by a corroded or dirty electrical terminal in the cable that connects to the display panel.
Open your generator and unplug the digital display cable and carefully inspect the terminals on both ends for signs of corrosion.
Also make sure that all the pins are pushed firmly into the plastic body of the connector.

If the above does not help you may also want to remove the entire display panel and try pushing directly on the button of the display without the cover on it.

Here is a picture of the display with the cover removed.

Let us know if this solves your problem.

Brian.

Jetech

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on June 12, 2011, 07:52:32 AM
Hi Tim

Your problem could be caused by a corroded or dirty electrical terminal in the cable that connects to the display panel.
Open your generator and unplug the digital display cable and carefully inspect the terminals on both ends for signs of corrosion.
Also make sure that all the pins are pushed firmly into the plastic body of the connector.

Brian/Habs

Ok, I took it apart again and I am not sure to the cause but I got it to work again, with some problems. I took all the connectors apart to look for corrosion, and all was good. I found like I have seen in the FAQS that you have to press pretty hard to get the smoker side to power on, harder than the oven side. I also moved the puck advance tray all the way rearward  and when I was able to get power to the smoker side, the advance motor would cycle but its pretty jerky in its movement. It will move but it hangs up and gives the "E" error message while in transit but once it cycles through and makes contact with the microswitch the error goes out. The motor needs to be replaced for sure as I couldn't help to try it out on a set of baby back ribs. When I load 9 bisquettes in the stack it binds up the motor and it wont advance. So I think once the motor is replaced it should be fine. Thanks for all the help guys.

Tim

Habanero Smoker

Sorry you couldn't get everything resolved today, but Bradley will take care of you tomorrow.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jetech

Well I ordered the parts for the SG on Monday and they arrived today (Friday), just in time for some weekend smoking. I put the new motor in and it works perfect once again. The old motor was bad for sure, it had 90ยบ of free play. Once again thanks for all the help, especially Brian and Habs.

Tim

ghost9mm

I really enjoy hearing that the Bradley Company steps up to the plate and takes care of it's customers..and real glad you have your smoker up and running, have a great week end and enjoy your smoker..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

jsrampton

Yeah, they always do that for people!

Rica41

Had a issue over the weekend - Bradley is sending me a new generator.

Plugged it all in and all the unit did was flash every few seconds - sounded like a relay each time it flashed.

Anyone experience this?

Smoke the 10 lbs of fish on the BBQ - saved the fish anyway but very frustrating.