How much Pork Butt is needed?

Started by zueth, June 13, 2011, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I am going to do pulled pork for about 20 people this weekend and was wondering what you guys use to estimate how much pork butt to smoke.

I was thinking that a 14lb pork/shoulder from Costco(has two in it, normally close to 7lbs each) would be plenty, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

FLBentRider

Figure a 50% loss from raw to cooked.

Then you need to determine portion size, and are you feeding "the guys" or the ladies auxilary.

If you figure a 1/4 lb (4 oz) sandwhich, then you have enough for 28 servings.

How many people are going to have more than one serving?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Pulled pork normally comes out at about half the weight of raw so 14 pounds will give you about 7 pounds of product.  If it's the only meat served, I usually figure on about 2/3 pound of product per person and usually  have some left over for the freezer (accidentally on purpose).  If there are other meats I plan on 1/4 - 1/3 of a pound per person.  Your 14 pounds will probably feed those 20 people but you won't have a lot left over.

hal4uk

Assuming you're having side dishes (of course!)....

You should figure on being in good shape with 1/3lb per person.
Like FLB said -- figure 4oz per sammie -- but some will have more than one (thus 1/3lb estimate).
That puts you at 21 people.

---
KH beat me to it...
You'll be fine --- but don't expect leftovers.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

beefmann

I would go with a 1/3 lb  and if you  want some breathing room 1/2 lb per person cooked  weight so somewhere between 7 and 10 lbs cooked or 14 to 20 lbs of meat ( less bone ) total and allow 1 her 30 minutes cook time

zueth

We are doing pulled pork sandwiches and I am also making close slaw.  I believe others are bringing other sides as well.

Sounds like I should by two 14lbs(which is 4 total) and cook up three, freeze the other, so that we have left overs.

Any problem with having one seven pound but on three racks, will it take longer to cook?

I am going to smoke Friday, FTC, then pull the pork, then refrigerate over night.  How early do I need to start the warm up process on Saturday before serving.

I have read that it is a good idea to put in oven with a little apple juice and lid at 350 for about 30 minutes then reduce to 150 until serving time.

Let me know, thanks.

Habanero Smoker

Your reheating method sounds good, but to be on the safe side calculate up 30 - 45 minutes. The reheat time depends on how cold the pans are and how many you place in the oven. I like to stir the pork half way through the reheating time then recover. I use vaunted vinegar or low salt chicken stock if more moisture is needed. If you can use the oven to hold the pork, 150°F is fine, I use my Bradley to hold the meat warm at 150°F to free the oven up for warming up side dishes etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

yes it  will take longer to cook because of the total  weight allow 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound and nothing wrong with reheating or FTC.

the bottom shoulder will be done first then the middle one unless you  rotate the racks  top to bottom and front to back which makes for more of an even cook

zueth

So after the 45 minutes at 350 the pork should be ready to serve and reducing the over to 150 will keep the pork warm until time to eat, correct?

When you guys add apple juice, cider vinegar, or chicken stock how much are you adding.

Are you guys using the disposable pans that you can buy at any supermarket for storing the pulled pork and reheating?Do you pull the pork out of the refrigerator and let sit on counter before putting in oven for reheating?

Sorry for all the questions.

hal4uk

150° keeps you out of the "danger zone"
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Danger_Zone/index.asp

You can store pulled pork vac-packed in your freezer for a LONG time.

If fresh and just storing short-term in fridge, tupperware is fine.

I use a LOT of foil pans for various reasons, but to reheat pork for a party..
I use a crockpot or similar.  It reheats in the same container you're holding it (at temp) in and serving from.
Just start it on HIGH, and turn to low when it gets steamy.

You can use some vaunted vinegar, cider vinegar, apple juice or a combination.
I like to add little butter also.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

I pull the pork as soon as it can be handled once it is out of the smoker. If you are using FTC pull the pork when you finish the FTC stage. I add my vaunted vinegar after it is pulled. Depending on the size of the butt 1 - 2 cups. That is also sufficient moisture when it comes time to reheat. If for some reason I don't add the vaunted vinegar when I pulled the meat and have to add it later, I use about 2 cups for a half-steam pan that is full, but this is for both a little moisture, but mainly flavor. I've never used apple juice, but 2 cups may be a bit too much. You should not have to add much, since the pork is coated with gelatin.

Letting it rest on the counter for an hour prior to preheating should cut down on the reheating time. If you are only storing for 1 - 3 days you can store it in the pan you plan to reheat the pork. For short periods I will store it in 1 or 2 gallon freezer ziploc bags, they take up less room in the refrigerator. The disposable half-steam pans I use are purchased from Sam's, BJ's, or Costco, but you can pick up similar pans in many super markets. If you store the pork in the disposable pan, cover the top of the pan with plastic wrap before covering with foil. Just before you reheat remove the plastic wrap and reseal with the foil.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

zueth

Thanks for all the info.

Habs, is this the vaunted vinegar you are referring too?

Vaunted Vinegar Sauce Ingredients:

1 cup Cider Vinegar (I use Nakano Rice Vinegar, Original Flavor)
    1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
    1 tsp. Kosher Salt
    1/2 tsp. Black pepper, fresh cracked
    1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a small sauce pan.
    Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
    Let cool, and season pork to taste.

Alternate method: (less irritating to the nose and eyes)
        Place all ingredients in a microwave proof container, and stir well.
        Place in microwave, heat at high power for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Repeat this two more times.
        Allow to cool at room temperature for 5 - 10 minutes.

Habanero Smoker

Yes. It is from the book Smoke and Spice. If you use the Nakano Vinegar it is more sweet with a little tang. When used in the correct amount it enhances the pork flavor without masking the flavor or the meat.

Lay's Tangy Carolina BBQ Sauce is also good, but it has more of a tang to it. This is one of the sauces I serve on the side.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Indy Smoker

Figure about 20 pounds pfof pork prior to cooking.  The shrinkage will work itself out and you will have some left over which is never a bad thing with pulled pork - it freezes easily and however you reheat (micro, stove, oven, crock) it turns out as if it was fresh all over again.

zueth

If you rotate how often do you rotate? seems like that could be a pain with meat probe in butt.  Also, wouldn't that cause you to lose a lot of the cabinet heat?