Brine Question

Started by Rainmaker, June 21, 2011, 08:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainmaker

I was given a package of brine for salmon this weekend.  I am a bit reluctant to try it since I have used Kummok's recipe to great success in the past and don't know how this will turn out.  Given the price of salmon, I don't want to end up with a lower quality than Kummok's recipe gives.  Has anyone had experience using a brine mix called "Gourmet brine mix for curing and smoking fish" (for salmon) made by Wild West Seasonings in Headingly, Manitoba, Canada?  Web site is www.wildwestseasonings.com   

Smokeville

I hate it when people respond to a specific question "has anyone had experience..." by saying "no, but...."  BUT that's what I've got to say.

I'd give it a shot. Then you can tell Kummok that his brine recipe has no equal! Which you already know.

Rich

Slamdunk

Rainmaker, you're from BC...keep to West Coast brines, not something from Manitoba.  :o

Rainmaker

In the end, I decided not to take a chance and to stick with Kummock's recipe.  I'll save the Manitoba brine for a another day.  Got four racks of salmon drying now.  They'll go into the OBS this afternoon.

Kummok

Very pleased that the recipe/process, (that Kirk "pressured" me into posting waaaaay back when  ;) ), has brought such pleasure to users of this forum...seeing comments like this, I am truly honored to have played a small part in Bradley's forum growth over the years...