Smoked Salmon question-Salmons All Done!!!

Started by Keymaster, June 16, 2011, 06:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keymaster

The wife had a grand idea of smoking a whole one side fillet of salmon so we could present it at a party this weekend as one side of  fish on a cedar board. Has anyone done this and does it take a lot longer to smoke?

devo

I have done whole trout and it didn't take any longer. Just don't smoke it on the cedar board as its not needed but I guess you already new that.

Keymaster

K, its gettin brined whole ;D

Keymaster

Purchased two sockeyes today and their both in brine now. Smoker in the morning  :P :P :P

Habanero Smoker

I have planked grilled a whole side of a small salmon on a grill and presented it on the plank with mango salsa. The mango salsa I used was great. I don't have the recipe right now but if you google salmon with mango salsa you should be able to find serveral recipes. The cedar plank makes for a nice serving platter. If you never use planks before, you should do a search on how to prepare the planks. The below link give you some hints on how to prepare the planks for grilling or oven use:
Basics of Plank Grilling

In the smoker I don't know if the plank will give off any cedar flavor, because the temperature will not get that hot. So it is difficult to know if you should add additional smoke or not. When using a cedar plank when grilling you have to soak it, in this case I don't know if you would want to soak the board and just apply a coat of oil on the surface the salmon will be on. But I would definitely use a temperature of 225°F, you may get the "buggers", but you can blot them off and/or cover them with the salsa or other topping just prior to serving.

With the plank it is hard to tell when the salmon will be finished in the smoker, but if you use the 225°F temperature, I would guest about 1 hour, if the salmon is not finished in that time you could finish it over a hot grill or in a 325°F oven until finished. If you finished over a hot grill, keep a spray bottle of water ready in case you see flames from the plank you can put them out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

I often do centre cuts of salmon, up to 6-7 inches long, and I use the same brine and temperature staging (Kumocks) as for smaller pieces. The only difference is the timing. The bigger pieces take longer. I think a whole side would be great for father's day.....

Regards, Rich

Keymaster

Thanks guys, I was not going to smoke the salmon on the plank, just using the plank as a plate while serving the salmon.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

squirtthecat

Throw the cedar plank on the grill for a while to give it that rustic charred 'look'..   

Keymaster

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 17, 2011, 06:33:56 AM

Throw the cedar plank on the grill for a while to give it that rustic charred 'look'..   
Good idea STC, I'll definately do that :)

Keymaster

I got the salmon in the smoker at 8:30 this morning ;)

muebe

That is a nice load of Salmon you got there....save me some ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

Now THATS gonna be gooood.

I have smoked a side then after the smoke finished on the grill,,turned out great.

ghost9mm

Now that picture will make most peoples mouth water, little bit of brown sugar and lemon..yum..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Keymaster

All Done and Killer, I forgot to mention this was Kummocks receipt again ;D

I think I'll char the board tomorrow STC ;D

devo

Wowwwwww............you got some extra?????? ;D