Small Brisket today

Started by smokin65, June 18, 2011, 03:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin65

Sorry, no pictures today.

I decided to smoke a brisket for fathers day dinner, so I went to Costco and bought a small one (6.5 lbs) I use the Pachanga rub.  I put the rub and mustard on last night for an overnight cure.  Pulled it out of the fridge this a.m. at 6:15, pre-heated the digital smoker and put the meat in at 7:30.  I smoked for 4 hours, combo of Mesquite and Hickory (heavier on the mesq.)  I targeted the smoker temp for 220, but found my Maverick probe said It was about 10 degrees light so I boosted the temp to 230 and all is well.  It is now 3:30pm the I.T. is reading 168 and climbing slowly.....all is well and I'm a patient guy (besides, we have no plans for today other than a h.s. graduation party that was at 1).  When it hits 180 -185 I'm going to foil and put back in the smoker till I.T. reads 190, then I'll complete the FTC for a couple of hours before putting it in the fridge till tomorrows dinner. 

Does anyone have a good reheating method that won't dry out the meat?

Oh, it's Seattle, it's raining (since 2:30am) and a whopping 57 degrees......

To all you dads out there.......HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!!!!

GusRobin

I would pull it at 185 and FTC at that time. I usually reheat in a crock pot and it comes out very tender, You can put some of your favorite liquid in it. I usually catch drippings in small bread pans when i cook briskets or butts and use that when I reheat,
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

smokin65

Thanks Gus,

I don't have a crock pot....LOL.

I do save the juices that accumulate during the FTC, and put that over the cut meat.  I've been having good success with seal-a-mealing the meat, then heat it up by putting the pouches in boiling water to heat up.....but the brisket is a bit larger than my bags.....I suppose I can cut it into a couple of pieces and do it that way.

Habanero Smoker

I reheat one of two ways. I will place it in a foil pan, add some low sodium beef broth; about 1/4" - 1/2" up the sides of the brisket. Cover with foil and seal tightly, and place in a 350°F preheated oven. When reheated remove and slice.

The second way is that I slice the brisket cold, place it in a foil pan, make an onion sauce and pour that over the brisket. I reheat the same way as above, but without the broth. I don't have time the morning to search for it, but I have posted the onion sauce recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GusRobin

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 19, 2011, 02:08:19 AM
The second way is that I slice the brisket cold, place it in a foil pan, make an onion sauce and pour that over the brisket. I reheat the same way as above, but without the broth. I don't have time the morning to search for it, but I have posted the onion sauce recipe.
Got ya covered - I think this is what Habs was to referring to:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10096.0
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks Gus. That's the recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812