Cold smoking Steak Cabinet Temp

Started by zueth, June 22, 2011, 09:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

When cold smoking steak are you ok as long as the cabinet temp does not get above 90 or do you need to keep it lower than that?

beefmann

i have used the smoke generator only  with the top vent wide open, then switch to cooking  bringing up main heater and  turning off the generator, then again i have a 900 watt element

Ka Honu

About 75-80o is better but if you keep it under 90o you'll be fine.  You can then either transfer directly to the grill or cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 22, 2011, 03:33:47 PM
About 75-80o is better but if you keep it under 90o you'll be fine.  You can then either transfer directly to the grill or cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Paul is dead on correct.

OU812

I try to keep the cabnet temp below 70 F.

Take the steaks outta the fridge and throw them straight in the smoker, roll 2 hr smoke, wrap in plastic and right back in the fridge.

Unless your gonna grill them that day then straight from the smoker to a hot grill.

They will have more smoke flavor if they are wrapped and sit in the fridge for a day.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22097.0

Bigbirdoffroad

Quote from: OU812 on June 23, 2011, 08:18:00 AM
I try to keep the cabnet temp below 70 F.

Take the steaks outta the fridge and throw them straight in the smoker, roll 2 hr smoke, wrap in plastic and right back in the fridge.

Unless your gonna grill them that day then straight from the smoker to a hot grill.

They will have more smoke flavor if they are wrapped and sit in the fridge for a day.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22097.0

How do you keep the temp that low when it's warm outside? Would bowls of ice help with that?
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

squirtthecat

Fill a couple gallon freezer bags full of ice, and place on racks 1 above and 1 below the meat.   It'll stay nice and cool in there.

Just run the smoke generator..

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 23, 2011, 08:55:46 AM
Fill a couple gallon freezer bags full of ice, and place on racks 1 above and 1 below the meat.   It'll stay nice and cool in there.

Just run the smoke generator..

What Squirt said,,,,,,, and put the ice in the smoker an hr or two before the meat, I put the ice in foil roaster pans.

I also use a cold smoke box which puts the smoke generator off to the side and about 3' lower than the smoker.

Bigbirdoffroad

OU812/Squirt,

Thanks again, you guys rock!!! Always there to help out!!!
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

SamuelG

This setup works in Miami @95 + outside

With some of this

Or this

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG