beef jerky

Started by n/a, September 20, 2003, 05:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n/a

how is the bradley for making beef jerky?

Wilbur

Jerky is all I've used my Bradley for so far and it's great. There's no recipes in their book or on this site but you can find some on the net and "High Mountain" make various kinds of sprinkle on stuff that works great too.

n/a

I tried beef jerky and messed it up... What temp should you dry it at? My temp hit 180f 2 times... I think thats what did it..

Chez Bubba

IMO, the Bradley is the best smoker on earth. It is not however, the most efficient dehydrator. If you're looking to produce mondo amounts, you'll be disappointed. I don't make a lot of jerky, so I'm perfectly satisfied. So too seem to be other members on the forum.

Quality-wise, yum yum, yum![:p]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

jaeger

n/a and Mystle,
The jerky I have made has turned out great. I don't worry as much about drying it out. What I want is a good color and HEAT. If I am making wild game jerky, I want it to reach 170 degrees at some point. What I do is cook/smoke it at 190-200 degrees and keep an eye on it. The meat is fairly thin so opening the door does not really hurt because it recovers the temp quicker than if you are cooking large amounts of roast size items. Opening the door also lets out some of the humidity as you go. When the meat near the heating element looks like it is getting kind of close, I do a complete rotation. Later, after that, I pull the racks out and turn some of the meat also as needed. I did some turkey jerky this week on the bottom 2 racks with ground jerky on the top 2 racks and they both turned out great!!! The turkey jerkey also had very good color.
Going to use Kansas City style rub on a pork loin. Prep tonight, smoke tomorrow, slice and reheat on Sunday.[:D][:p][:D]
Doug