1st butt attempt, does this sound correct?

Started by Hackk, June 23, 2011, 09:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hackk

So after spending 3 hours going to 5 different markets, I found a boston butt just under 5lbs. Its not exactly what I wanted, but it will do. I also have a 1# belly that I will use as well

So here is my plan, and you experts tell me if Im right or wrong.

The butt is seasoned with a dry rub, the belly a 50/50 of brown sugar and kosher salt. I will let them sit in my fridge over night wrapped in plastic.
I will preheat the OBS to 225*,  and put in the meat. I will set the butt in the second from bottom rack, and the belly just above that in hopes to get a good fat drip off onto the butt. I figure ~2hours per pound, so Im estimating 10-12 hours until I reach an IT of 190-195*

Also, I will smoke for 4 hours Im thinking, (if you guys think more or less, chime in). I havent decided on the wood yet. I have every type BUT hickory, so I need help with this. Perhaps a 50/50 mesquite/cherry? Or a JD oak? Honestly, I havent had enough experience with wood flavors yet, so give me your advice. Apple would go great with the belly, but too sweet and mild for the butt?

The gathering is at 5pm on Saturday, I figure put the meat in at midnight, which gives me 12 hours cook time, plus 5 hours extra in case it needs to go longer? Im not yet sure if I will try FTC (juice) method, unless you all feel it is a must. However, I will wrap it for transporting to the BBQ

Other than that, I cant think of anything else. Please help me relax, and tell me I'll be alright...

La Quinta

I do think the apple is to mild for the butt... but oak might work for the entire batch or rotate some JD and oak? ...4 hours IMHO is enough smoke...then finish in the Bradley or the oven...but check the H2o bowl if you leave it in the unit...I do the sprtiz of some kinda juice and wrap in foil and go to the cooler... everything keeps cooking...and soaks up the spritz...plus you get a lovely sweetness from the juice v smoke...

Other peeps will way in on this...

beefmann

i usually go with 3 hours of smoke, oak, hickey, and some times ill throw in some misquette for a different taste for 3 hours, and water in the bowl, after the smoking process I remove the burnt pucks and refill the bowl  with orange soda, some times beer to add flavor.

I personally do not  like the way  food taste with water in the  bowl

Hackk

before I start, I want a vote... If I DONT have HICKORY, you would use....

APPLE?
CHERRY?
MAPLE?
ALDER?
JACK DANIELS?
PECAN?
MESQUITE?

Like I said before, I havent had a chance to really learn the smoke flavors, so Im clueless

squirtthecat

Pecan is 'Hickory Lite' in my book..    (and I use a bunch of it)

Rainmaker

KyNola

La Quinta

I'd mix Maple and pecan...just me...I like them both...definitely not mesquite...