Brisket Questions

Started by zueth, June 24, 2011, 12:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I will be doing a brisket in the near future and have a few questions.

Seems that most people agree to take the brisket of IT to 180-190 for slicing and 200-205 for pulling.

I want to cook mine for slicing so after it reaches 180 should I do the fork test and check every 2 degrees after that for tenderness?

Also, some people suggest to pull the brisket once it reaches 170 and wrap in foil then return until it reaches 190. What are thoughts on that?

With regards to cooking temperature, it seems that there is a big range from 200 - 250 or more.  I am thinking 220 will work, thoughts?

With regards to wood, it seems people, use pecan, cherry, oak, hickory, mesquite or a mix of those.  What have people had the best results with?

I think that is all for now  ;D

Ka Honu

All answers are correct (although fork-checking every 2o might make it tough to maintain any kind of cabinet temperature). 

Some people swear that the only way to do brisket is "naked" over mesquite with only salt and pepper (and maybe some granulated garlic).  These people (often known as "Texans") are right.

Other people swear by any number of preps, woods, temps, and off-the-wall techniques.  These people (often known as "other people") are also right.

If this is your first brisket, I'd recommend finding the simplest recipe/instructions that you're comfortable with and use them as your baseline.  You can always enhance later as you become more familiar with the cut, the way it smokes on your equipment, and your own preferences.

Before I started, though, I'd go to the recipe site (here) and read the submissions (under "Beef") by Pachanga and West Texas Smoker.  Both of them know whereof they speak (write) and you should absorb some essential knowledge from their experience.

KyNola

Great advice from Ka Honu!

zueth

Thanks, I have read both of there post already and probably were most of questions came from as well as reading numerous other posts/websites/etc.....

ghost9mm

All good information, one little tip...when you cut your brisket..cut across the grain, and before you get into the rub take a knife and mark a corner on the brisket that indicates across the grain, that way you are not guessing where the grain is, some times after rubs,smoke and cooking for along time it sometimes get a little tough to see the grain, this way you will know...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Ka Honu

Quote from: ghost9mm on June 24, 2011, 03:44:38 PM... take a knife and mark a corner on the brisket that indicates across the grain...

I insert a wooden toothpick with the grain - works well for me.

DTAggie

I have found if I take the temp to 190-195* for a whole brisket it slices perfect and melts in your mouth.  If you are smoking just the flat, then you need to pull around 180* then FTC.  Of course FTC if you are doing a whole brisket as well.

As far as rubs, after trying many variations, I have found guests prefer just the salt / pepper combo and maybe some garlic salt/powder.  Here in Texas the so called most famous BBQ joints generally use just salt and pepper.  I would send you some links to rub recipes but my laptop blew up and I have not reloaded all my files.

smoker pete

Quote from: DTAggie on June 24, 2011, 10:27:03 PM
I have found if I take the temp to 190-195* for a whole brisket it slices perfect and melts in your mouth.

I agree with DTAggie.  Another thing to remember is that it will stall ... Probably around the 160ยบ mark.  Don't panic and just wait it out. ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

zueth

Also, some people suggest to pull the brisket once it reaches 170 and wrap in foil then return until it reaches 190. What are thoughts on that?

Do most people use this above technique, does that work the best?

Ka Honu

I try to pull brisket at 185o and then FTC. Ymmv.