Salmon Results

Started by Rainmaker, June 24, 2011, 03:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainmaker

I finished a full OBS load of salmon yesterday.  I soaked in a brine for 12 hrs using Kummok's brine then dried for about 3 hrs with a fan, then put them in the OBS with 3 hrs of smoke (mix of apple and cherry).  I did 2 hrs at 120 deg then raised to 140.  After 3.5 hrs at 140 deg I did a taste test on a small chunk during one of the rack rotations.  I felt they were done enough to my taste, since I like smoked salmon that is still quite moist.  So out they came and cooled in the fridge for a while.  My son gave a taste test to the Atlantic and the Sockeye and gave a thumbs up.  I quickly vac sealed before he could get any more and put into the freezer.  I'm like many others on this site that find the taste improves after being frozen.  I had a mixture of Atlantic (sorry, I feel guilty even saying I used that) Fresh Sockey and some Pinks.  I thought the Pinks, which are my least favorite fish, might just be good enough for making salmon cream cheese, but the sample I had wasn't too bad.  We'll see what they are like after a few days.

Pictures follow:
Drying after being in the brine

Near the end of smoke

Just out of the OBS.  A little white stuff (didn't appear until temp went up to 140 deg)

Vac sealed and ready for the freezer

devo

Keymaster

Very nice Job RM!!!!! I Had a fathers day party last weekend and everybody that tasted Kummoks recipe on my fish said it was the best they ever had, Even the aunt the boasted she dated a lot of fishermen said it was the best she ever had ;D ;D She must not of dated Kummok :o

Rainmaker

One of my son's friends is a professional chef who runs a BBQ restaurant and he raves about some smoked salmon made with Kummok's recipe that I gave him.

ghost9mm

WOW !!! what a really great lookin bunch of salmon, that wouldn't last long with my family they eat that like candy...lol
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

smoker pete

Done to perfection ... Great Job!!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Kummok

Great looking batch, Rainmaker!  ThanX for sharing the salivation ;) ;)  In my own experience, I think Pinks and Chums are too often overlooked (because of the name???) and are a great choice if/when Kings/Reds/Silvers aren't available.

P.S. to Keymaster .....Your aunt isn't from Sitka is she?!?!?  ;) ;)

Keymaster

Quote from: Kummok on July 02, 2011, 11:28:34 AM

P.S. to Keymaster .....Your aunt isn't from Sitka is she?!?!?  ;) ;)
I think her run was Coos Bay to the Puget Sound, great Gal for 75 years old  ;)

pikeman_95

Oh man !! looking good. ;D

NePaSmoKer