Really broke door :( -- Update

Started by wthr_dude, June 25, 2011, 10:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wthr_dude

So im in the middle of making a batch of jerky, and when I open the door this is what happened.  At least it waited until I finished about 1.5hrs of smoke before it broke, I got the meat in a dehydrator now

Anybody seen one come apart like this?  I noticed that the bottom hinge was getting a little loose and I guess now I know why. Its still under warranty so I guess I will see what they can do with it on monday.  Already had to replace the heater element and now this.  I really love cooking with this smoker but am not at all happy with all the plastic they used to put a 600$ box together with

loner

I hear ya, mine was not that bad, was able to put it back together but still, PLASTIC? come on guys. Other things that are plastic are cracked or broken, because of the heat.

wthr_dude

At least customer service is good.  I contacted them today and they are supposed to be sending out a whole new door and a replacement for the bracket on the box

muebe

Oh man sorry to see that! Bradley sounds like they are taking care of it for ya. And at least you have a dehydrator to finish your jerky.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

Really glad to hear that the Bradley Company is standing behind the door and taking good care of you.
This all speaks volumes of a really great company...

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Tenpoint5

No Surprise at all. The CS at Bradley is second to none. Not many companies stand behind their products these days but the folks at Bradley have always stood behind their product and fully supported the customer!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

loner

The heating element went out on my OBS not long after I got it, they were very helpful, replaced it quick, no questions asked. Kudos

wthr_dude

Ok so heres an update been waiting on parts since I called on the 27th of June.  Nothing again today and I really need this thing working by the end of next week.  I call back customer service today and there is no record of me ever calling in and ordering the parts, then come to find out that the bottom trim piece is on back order and supposedly the main office (canada I presume) hasnt told them when they will be getting them in.

So now I am back to waiting with a usless/doorless box.  Customer service rating just took a major dive in my book!!

Quarlow

Sorry to hear this wthr_dude. This a rare day when they mess up like that. I have not seen any doors break like this except when the wind caught one fellas door. Hope you get up and running soon.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

RickWL63

I noticed on the last couple of smokes that mine is cracked and breaking too, but not quite that bad.  Same parts though.  Sent an e-mail to Bradley, haven't had time to call yet and get the parts on order.  Unfortunately, mine is not under warranty.

wthr_dude

I called them again yesterday and both the door and the bottom trim are still on back order.  They think that the first parts should start showing up this week and then they will send out doors and trim based on the order of the tickets. 

ffrcoupe

Sounds like a redesign is in order. Any mechanical engineers out there?  :)

pikeman_95

I would guess a length of angle aluminium and some stainless sheet metal screws would make a good permant fix. I know I would not depend too much on plastic for a hinge point.

Dean405

I really do not know what I did that caused mine to break... I was just closing the door and heard the sound of plastic pieces hitting the concrete.

Hopefully they have already re-designed this and the new pieces will be more durable.

muebe

There is too much heat causing the plastic to dry out over time and crack. I have one crack on the door that has been repaired with gorilla glue. My faceplate was cracking in several places so I made a new one from aluminum. I may re-enforce the lower door hinge with metal before it cracks more.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)