RED SALMON LIKE KEYMASTER

Started by pikeman_95, June 25, 2011, 02:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

After looking at Keymasters Copper River salmon a dozen times I had to try some. Devo Don and I both succumbed to the temptation.

I bought two wild red salmon fillets from Costco.

in Kummok's brine for 12 hours

Then on the racks and used the fans in the smoker to get the pellicle

after a couple hours time to roll the smoke.

about 4 hours of heavy smoke at 140. Boy things are starting to look good.
1 hour hour at 165 and done seeing just a little oil showing in the cracks.

on the counter to cool Oh does it smell good.

vacuum sealed and taste test.

I know this is how I will smoke salmon from now on. thanks Kummok for the great brine and process. and Thanks Keymaster for the great pictures that drove me nuts until I tried it.
All vacuum sealed and ready for a camping trip.

devo

great pics Kirby
i just did some rainbow trout, looked at the salmon but it was 32 bucks for a fillet so I went with the rainbow at 12 bucks a fillet

smoker pete

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

SamuelG

SamuelG

pikeman_95

Quote from: devo on June 25, 2011, 03:10:55 PM
great pics Kirby
i just did some rainbow trout, looked at the salmon but it was 32 bucks for a fillet so I went with the rainbow at 12 bucks a fillet

Thanks Don.

You are right they were pricey. My granddaughter is visiting and I wanted to give her a treat. I will do something like the steal head or the Alantic farm raised salmon next time. More fish and less money. It looks like yours turned out good also. Have you tasted it yet?

SamuelG

Nice racks!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

Keymaster

Wow, Thats some excellent looking salmon :P :P :P I sure do enjoy this forum and seeing all the great posts. You did a awesome job on that fish Kirby ;)

KyNola

pikeman_95

Quote from: Keymaster on June 25, 2011, 03:20:15 PM
Wow, Thats some excellent looking salmon :P :P :P I sure do enjoy this forum and seeing all the great posts. You did a awesome job on that fish Kirby ;)

It was your fault. I kept looking at your Copper River fish and had to try it. Thanks for the inspiration.

muebe

Beautiful finish on that fish! Well done..
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Kummok

I'll bet your friends really like visiting you, Pikeman!! That is great looking (and obviously great TASTING!!) CR Reds!!

pikeman_95

Quote from: Kummok on July 02, 2011, 11:32:29 AM
I'll bet your friends really like visiting you, Pikeman!! That is great looking (and obviously great TASTING!!) CR Reds!!

With that salmon I will have lots of friends. Thanks for the great brine recipe. My grand daughter is visiting and just thinks that fish is the best tasting fish she has ever tried. The sweet and salt and salmon combination is unexplainable.

thanks again
Kirby

pikeman_95

Well just finished off the last of the kummok's salmon. My grand daughter thinks this was great. Three large dinner Cesar salads with flaked salmon on top. Oh man is it good.

all you guys with salmon might give this one a try.

Keymaster

Lucky grandaughter, nice job Kirby!!!

Quarlow

Wow Kirby that salad loks great. Nice job on those salmon.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.