How many lb of butt?

Started by madtown, June 22, 2011, 03:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madtown

Volunteered to make pulled pork samis for the upcoming family reunion.  Looking at around 35 adults to feed.  Any suggestions on how many lbs to smoke would be great....

Thanks!

GusRobin

Me - I would go with 3 at 8 lbs each cause I like leftovers.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

I'd say - 4 8 pound butts would do the trick, and you'll end up with leftovers to send home as gifts..  (or horde for yourself)

I always plan 1 pound raw per person.  You'll probably lose around 50% during the cook. (at least I do)

That yields 1/2 pound per person.   Some could polish that off and more, while others are pickier eaters.  (which means more for the carnivores)

Got a vacuum sealer?

Ka Honu

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 22, 2011, 03:32:56 PM... 1 pound raw per person.  You'll probably lose around 50% during the cook.

As so often occurs, stc has the best perfect answer.  It's simple to remember, when dealing with "normal" people you'll never run short, and you'll usually have at least some leftover for the freezer.

OU812

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 22, 2011, 03:43:01 PM
Quote from: squirtthecat on June 22, 2011, 03:32:56 PM... 1 pound raw per person.  You'll probably lose around 50% during the cook.

As so often occurs, stc has the best perfect answer.  It's simple to remember, when dealing with "normal" people you'll never run short, and you'll usually have at least some leftover for the freezer.

Yep,,,,,,,,,,, and I make my sammies with 1/2 lb of meat.  ;D

squirtthecat

Quote from: OU812 on June 23, 2011, 08:34:46 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CASE IN POINT!

beefmann

beefmann

ditto

SiFumar

I agree with STC....my hubbys family makes a sammie then piles more on plate next to it.  You can never have to much!

madtown

I picked up 4 today averaging around 7.5lbs.  Rub mixed tonight.  Going to rub down tomorrow and let sit in fridge until Friday.  I was going to use my OBS and my brothers digital bradley.  Forgot his was a 6 racker -- so all in there (why waste the wood on two smokers).

I typically smoke for 4-6 hours and then put in the oven to finish (OBS doesn't seem to get real warm with a large load and I only have one element). 

Given I won't have an oven available for this I am going to finish in an electric roaster.  I have cooked prime rib in it, so i think it should work to cook a couple butts...

OU812

Quote from: madtown on June 28, 2011, 07:05:19 PM

Given I won't have an oven available for this I am going to finish in an electric roaster.  I have cooked prime rib in it, so i think it should work to cook a couple butts...

The roaster will work great, put about 1/2" of water in the bottom and have it warmed up so when the smoke time is done the roaster is ready to rock.

Try to keep the butts on the rack, invert the rack so the buts aint sitting in the juices, makes a much better bark that way.

When the butts are done and doing the FTC thing pour the juices in a bowl and put in the fridge for a bit to let the fat come to the top and get solid.

Discard the fat and you got some mighty fine pork stock to put back in the meat after its pulled.

Good stuff.

madtown