Pork Butt Question

Started by johnredcorn1, June 29, 2011, 06:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnredcorn1

Going to smoke a turkey for Canada Day and I also want to serve some pulled pork. I want to smoke the butt the day before. Whats the best way to reheat it, serve it the next day? Thanks.

jimmyb

You can pull it when the butt is finished cookig/FTC'ing. Refrigerate or freeze then reheat before serving in a crock pot with some apple juice or vaunted vinegar sauce, etc. I have read of some putting it in a zip lock bag and dropping in boiling water. Crock pot seems to work great for me.

squirtthecat

Yep.  Crock pot/roaster oven.   Easy to serve out of as well.

ghost9mm

Quote from: squirtthecat on June 29, 2011, 07:27:54 AM

Yep.  Crock pot/roaster oven.   Easy to serve out of as well.

X2
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

kinyo

OU812

pensrock

Habanero Smoker

For me it depends on how much I am reheating. For large amounts I place mine in a foil pan with vaunted vinegar and seal tightly with aluminum foil. Place in a 350°F oven to reheat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

johnredcorn1

Thanks all for the ideas. The crock pot sounds good but I just have a small one. Habs is the way I'm going with.One more question. Would it be okay to put a foil pan on the lower rack under the butt to catch the drippings? I would like to add them to the sauce.

Habanero Smoker

It's alright to do so, to avoid covering up too much of the rack don't use too large of a pan. That will block too much heat which can cause a fire hazard, and restrict smoke circulation. Also use a pan with low sides. I've only done this once, and found that the drippings dry up, so I needed to deglaze the pan to recover the sauce.

One other thing on the reheating; you need to stir the pork up about half way through the reheating time. For a full half steam table pan, it can take 30 - 45 minutes. For moisture other then vaunted vinegar you can use low sodium chicken broth, apple juice or even water.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

johnredcorn1

Thanks for the tips Habs. Smoked it yesterday without the pan under the butt came out great. I had to finish in the oven the dreaded DBS burner died, at least it died after the smoke. No smoked turkey for today can't get a new burner that fast. Happy Canada Day and a early Happy 4th of July.