butterflied trout

Started by grnhs, June 29, 2011, 06:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grnhs

Second batch of trout with Kummoks brine and I'm starting to get the hang of fish smoking,( I was gone all day and let the PID do all the work.got a tad done, but still real good)

4 bighorn river trout, 2 rainbows and 2 browns

brine in the fridge

Next morning drying while I get smoker ready

2/4.5/1 with 2:40 maple rolled on.

finished with a few sampling holes here and there.
sorry no pics of the vac pac, did good to remember the camera this far, besides my fingers were sticky now ;D
Dave

ghost9mm

Dang...Dave now that is some trout to be proud of...lookin mighty good..well done my friend...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

grnhs

thanks, the first batch I didn't bone until after the cook.
Learning every day, my life would probably be easier if I listened to instruction the first time, but that has never been my strong suit. ;)

Keymaster

Nice Job!!! lookslike I might have to get the pole out!!

viper125

Never done trout. Do you guys just butterfly with the bones in or do you fillet?Even fillet they have that second set of bones. Drives me crazy hate picking bones. And cant trust little kids with bones
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

grnhs

I totally de-boned these. The extra set of bones you are talking about are the pin bones just above the latteral line?
I feel them with my finger and pull them out with needle nose pliers it's very easy and not too tedious.Just pull carefully or they will break. Makes for a nice finished product, I hate bones in my fish when I'm eating it.

hal4uk

Quote from: grnhs on June 30, 2011, 07:20:06 PM
I totally de-boned these. The extra set of bones you are talking about are the pin bones just above the latteral line?
I feel them with my finger and pull them out with needle nose pliers it's very easy and not too tedious.Just pull carefully or they will break. Makes for a nice finished product, I hate bones in my fish when I'm eating it.
Man I hate them bones too...
I LOVE TROUT -- But I never can get all the bones out.
When you gonna do that YouTube DE-BONE video for all us "Trout Dummies"?  ;D  ;D  ;D

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

viper125

Yes I've done that also. Guess I'm lazy I usually eat the ones you can fillet and get them all. Waleye,yellow perch and such. Trout I always done on a grill and when done I just grab and pull ribs and fight the others. Do you also leave the skin when you smoke?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

grnhs

Quote from: hal4uk on June 30, 2011, 08:02:51 PM
Quote from: grnhs on June 30, 2011, 07:20:06 PM
Man I hate them bones too...
I LOVE TROUT -- But I never can get all the bones out.
When you gonna do that YouTube DE-BONE video for all us "Trout Dummies"?  ;D  ;D  ;D

truth be told , that's where I learned it last week, just watched enough of them until I found a couple of guy's that I learned enough from to give it a try myself. I too am a walleye fisherman I only started keeping trout this year to smoke.
I think I have been missing something. that will not be my last trout smoke!

SamuelG

Very nice!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG