900 Watt or Dual Element

Started by JML54, June 30, 2011, 02:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

Quote from: Meat tooth on July 18, 2011, 09:51:16 PM
Not sure the temp controller MOSFET can handle double the load. It may overheat and or burn out. I looked up the specs on the parts when I replaced the front plastic, and decided it was not a good idea to connect a second element that way. I will likely add a switch to simply turn the second element on or off, as needed. I also thought of adding a second temp controller to the setup, but I don't see much benefit in that, either. Just turn on the second element to get the temp up, them turn it off or turn down the first temp to compensate.

My OBS temp controller did not have a problem handling my 900w element for over 80 hours. I just replaced my temp controller with a on/off switch over the weekend because I was replacing the cracked plastic faceplate with a new one that I made from aluminum. I omitted it because I have a PID and did not feel that it was needed any longer....

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

MidKnightRider

"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

Meat tooth

I may be wrong, but it is my belief that a PID will actually shorten the life of the element(s). It is frequently turning them on and off to adjust for temp changes, the temp controller is simply a "dimmer switch" of sorts, and reduces the voltage to the element, thus eliminating the high current when switching on. Anyway, so far I have no complaints with the way mine works, but I know it will need help when the outside temperature plummets in the fall. I do keep a close eye on the smoker when I'm using it, to avoid issues, and know whats going on. So far, so good.   8)
Chew carefully and don't let your meat loaf.

muebe

Meat Tooth IMHO a PID is not going to shorten the life of an element. A element overheating too much will shorten it's life. Once the cabinet temp get's close to the PID set temp the PID pulses the power to keep the element hot... but not overheated. The OBS temp slider supplies constant energy to the element. And once the cabinet temp goes up so does the stress level on the element.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

classicrockgriller

Please don't tell my dual elements that their life will

be shorten because I use a PID.

After two years, they are Happy Campers.

Habanero Smoker

I have had either the Guru Competitor or the DigiQII running my Bradley for over five years. Neither uses PID technology; they use another system of algorithm to control the device, but work the same way by pulsing the power on/off. I used the Competitor with my original glass element, and it functioned fined until I replaced it with a metal one when I did the dual mod. The glass element still works, so I could use it if needed. I did the dual mod over two years ago, and have not had any problems with the elements.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)