Bisquette Alternative?

Started by Uticafats, July 01, 2011, 09:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uticafats

Hi everyone.

I just picked up a BOS on Craigslist for $75...What a steal! I have a Big Green Egg and love it, but thought I'd give electric smoking a shot, especially for the cold smoking option. My problem is that since this was a used machine the seller did not include any bisquttes. I hope to give it a shot this weekend, but don't have a dealer near me where I can pick some up. I have plenty of various wood(chunks, chips, etc.) that I use on the Egg and was wondering if these have been used with any success. If so are there any procedures that work better then other?

Thanks for your help.

squirtthecat

Welcome!

In a pinch, you can put wood chips directly on the burner...  When they stop smoking, you can scrape them into the water bowl and add more.   Or just line the feed tray with chips and nudge them over as necessary.

Note, this will add to you cook time as you are opening the door and letting the heat out.

Where are you located?

Habanero Smoker

If you don't have a sporting goods store like Cabelas, or Bass Pro, check your local IGA. Some of those stores sell the 12 bisquette packs.

If not here is another way you can use alternate wood sources, in a manner you don't have to keep opening the door and loosing heat.
Using Different Woods In The Bradley

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MidKnightRider

you can also put the dust / chips / pellets into a tuna can on the burner.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

Uticafats

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to make some smoked kielbasa today to give the BOS a trial run with some wood chips..fingers crossed.

I'm located in Upstate New York near Saratoga Springs

Quarlow

Congrats on your new OBS and welcome to the forum.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

If there is a Gander Mountain store near you, they carry the bisquettes.

dman4505

Wal-Mart has them online as well, wish they would carry them in stores though
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Oyènkwara

UticaFats,

How did you make out trying the smoker? (Good CraigsList score by the way)

I live in Hudson Falls and have not seen any Bisquette's locally. I have had to order mine on-line or if I happen to be traveling near a cabela's I have been known to pick them up there.

Good Luck!

Tom

ananomoly

Utica club beer. I know it well. ;D

mikecorn.1

Mike