Rib BBQ Sauce

Started by torr8966, July 01, 2011, 09:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

torr8966

I smoked some spare ribs a few weeks ago with my new Bradley.  They turned out amazing!!  Now it's time to add some homemade sauce.  I've used many over the counter sauces in the past but would really like to try making my own.  I found a recipe on Gates BBQ sauce on the internet, has anyone tried this recipe?  Any recipes or directions on where to go to make an outstanding sauce would be great!!  We seem to like the sweeter sauces best.  Thanks in advance!!

Cheers!!

KyNola

TedEbear

My favorite is the Vermont Pig Candy glaze.  You make it from the leftover drippings of the apple juice and rib runoff juices after you steam them in the foil.  For the spicy rib eaters I add a bit of Chipolte Tabasco sauce.  The pure maple syrup gives it the sweet flavor that you asked for.

Although it is designed to be a glaze that you brush on the last few minutes of cooking I usually have some left and leave it in a bowl for anyone who wants to spoon more on.  Great stuff.    ;)

wipf9994

Quote from: torr8966 on July 01, 2011, 09:20:43 AM
I smoked some spare ribs a few weeks ago with my new Bradley.  They turned out amazing!!  Now it's time to add some homemade sauce.  I've used many over the counter sauces in the past but would really like to try making my own.  I found a recipe on Gates BBQ sauce on the internet, has anyone tried this recipe?  Any recipes or directions on where to go to make an outstanding sauce would be great!!  We seem to like the sweeter sauces best.  Thanks in advance!!

Cheers!!
i think i might have one u will like. it tastes  sweet and the kids love it. i made some ribs last nite with this bbq sauce and they were awesome

viper125

Try shacks bbq goggle it. I made it up and everyone likes it. Yourchoice weather its hot or not. But we sure still using it.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

KyNola

Viper, my reply to this thread on July 1st is the Shack recipe link.

Wipf9994, so what is your recipe?

wipf9994

BBQ SAUCE
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon table salt
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup yellow ballpark-style mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup steak sauce
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 cup dark brown sugar (you can use light brown sugar if that's all you have)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 medium cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
Optional. If you are cooking indoors, or if your meat does not have a lot of smoke flavor, or if you just want more smoke flavor, you can add 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke.
1) In a small bowl, mix the chili powder, black pepper, and salt. In a large bowl, mix the ketchup, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, lemon juice, steak sauce, molasses, honey, hot sauce, and brown sugar. Mix them, but you don't have to mix thoroughly.

2) Over medium heat, warm the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and saute until limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Crush the garlic, add it, and cook for another minute. Add the dry spices and stir for about 2 minutes to extract their oil-soluble flavors. Add the wet ingredients. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes with the lid off to thicken it a bit.

3) Taste and adjust. Add more of anything that you want a little bit at a time. It may taste a bit vinegary at first, but that will be less obvious when you use it. Remember, it is going on meat and will be cooked again then. Strain it if you don't want the chunks of onion and garlic. I prefer leaving them in. They give the sauce a home-made texture. You can use it immediately, but I think it's better when aged overnight. You can store it into clean bottles in the refrigerator for a month or two.

viper125

Ky Nola.,sorry didn't check the link. I use the same one. I do cut the pepper in half and leave out the hot sause for people who don't like the heat. This allows me to add more heat to mine. I also add 1/2 cup extra brown sugar.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

KyNola

Quote from: viper125 on August 08, 2011, 06:09:11 AM
Ky Nola.,sorry didn't check the link. I use the same one. I do cut the pepper in half and leave out the hot sause for people who don't like the heat. This allows me to add more heat to mine. I also add 1/2 cup extra brown sugar.
;) ;D

Thanks for the recipe wipf9994.

OU812

That BBQ Sauce looks good wipf9994, dont sound too sweet like most others.

What kind/type of steak sauce are you using?

wipf9994

Quote from: OU812 on August 08, 2011, 01:41:57 PM

i used heinz 57 and it tastes great

wipf9994

Quote from: KyNola on August 08, 2011, 07:11:14 AM
Quote from: viper125 on August 08, 2011, 06:09:11 AM
;) ;D

Thanks for the recipe wipf9994.
[/quote
ur welcome

OU812

Quote from: wipf9994 on August 08, 2011, 04:05:38 PM
Quote from: OU812 on August 08, 2011, 01:41:57 PM

i used heinz 57 and it tastes great

Thank you sir.