48 degree difference between Bradley Digital and Auber

Started by Dean405, July 01, 2011, 07:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean405

Last week I smoked a brisket using the Bradley @ 220°F. Didn't have the Auber yet and I had a lot of trouble getting the thing cooked. I didn't think about the oven temperature being off.

Today, I started smoking a brisket with using the Auber and noticed that the Auber was showing oven temperature at 220 and the Bradley controller was showing the oven temperature was 268. So... I went and got my trusty K thermocouple that I use at work and dropped it in the oven and my K thermocouple meter and the Auber are within 2 degrees of each other and the Bradley Digital oven control is showing the oven temperature is 268 degrees....wow... that is a LOT of difference.

BTW, what's the deal with all of the heating element failures.... how do you manage to make something as simple as a heating element that wont last longer than a few days??

KyNola

Dean, first of all welcome to the forum.  Let's talk about the Bradley Digital temp readings.  The temp sensor in the BDS in on the back wall of the tower(about the size of a nickel or quarter) and above the heating element.  Dirty little secret of the BDS is the temp readings are not nearly as accuarate as an Auber PID until the meat load comes up to temp and then the temp swings disappear.

Now, as for those heating element failures.  Bradley unintentionally and unfortunately wound up with some faulty heating elements.  They acknowledged the problem and replaced everyone that went out.

Dean, enjoy the ride. We're here for you.

Dean405

I guess I need to order a spare heating element (or two)

Habanero Smoker

Hi Dean;

Welcome to the forum.

In addition to what KyNola posted, another thing that can cause a discrepancy between the two readings is the placement. When you have meat in the smoker the placement of the probe can give you a low reading. If you place the probe above or between the racks that will give you a lower reading then a probe placed underneath the lowest rack or back wall that is further from the meat source.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dean405

I used a through the wall probe and put it directly below the top rack per the instructions Auber provided.

Does anyone know the serial number range of products that have the defective heating elements? I assume if Auber knows they have defective elements, they also know which units they were installed in.

dmcst123

FYI, I don't own a Bradley smoker yet although I have a different brand and I had problems stabilizing my output temp as compared to my input setting. Here is what I did, I cut a piece of 1/8" copper tube about 6" long and slide it over the end of my therm o couple. the conductive nature of the copper tube connected to the therm o couple has kept my temp variance withing 5 degrees of my input. I don't know if this will work with the Bradley but it works great with my MB smoker

GusRobin

I think you mean Bradley as they had the element issue. Not sure they know the exact units. But they have rounded up all they reasonably could and those that they didn't catch, they replace them quickly. I believe the stock of replacement elements have been purged of the bad ones so if you elect to buy a spare you shouldn't have to get more than one.
So all in all I think they have handled the issue excellently. It's not easy to pay 300 -400 for something and have it fail, but the service is outstanding.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Hi dmcst123;

Welcome to the forum.

The Bradley smoker does not have a long exposed temperature probe the you usually find in the MB and a lot of other electric smokers. Bradley's temperature sensor is a small round disc mounted almost flush with the wall. I like your idea, so maybe a flat piece of copper fitted over the disk would accomplish the same thing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)