Kielbasa, hot dogs and the Fourth of July

Started by GusRobin, July 01, 2011, 10:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

So I decided to make sausage this weekend. Thought I took more pics than I did but here is what I have so far.
I bought a 10# whole sirloin tip to use for hot dogs and kielbasa.

Cut it up and took 3.5 lbs and mixed with 3.5 lbs of ground pork butt (was lazy and have the butcher do it.) Mixed up the ingredients and some water, some water and cure, and a cup of buttermilk and threw it all into my handy dandy Kirby mixer.

Mixed it all up and then put in the fridge. Too tired to stuff it tonight so I guess I'll do it in the morning. More pics to come ( hope so since there isn't much in this post --said it before anyone else)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

Nothing wrong with posting the pre marinating pics Gus
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

GusRobin

All done for the day.

Kielbasa stuffed  and ready to go into the smoker for 2 hrs dry at 130, 2 hrs smoke at 140

then into 160* bath until reaches 155

then in an ice bath. Hanging to bloom

Meanwhile, getting hot dogs ready. Ground the meat (making all beef dogs) and mixed the ingredients

Everything in the Kirby mixer to mix and emulsify.

Stuffed in collagen casings

So I didn't smoke them  just put them in a 160 bath until th IT was 155.
Here they are blooming.

The kielbasa came out great. The hot dogs not so much.  Water got into the casings. My quest is to make all beef hot dogs that look like and taste better than the store  bought. So f anyone has a good recipe or advice, to assist in the quest I'd appreciate it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

cobra6223

Hey Gus
I had the same problem you're having, color is ugly and they don't even come close to looking like a store bought dog however bite into one and you won't go back to the store, also I should ask if your using 10.5 recipe as that is what I've been using, I think since the first shock of seeing the colorless things laying there I am now on batch 6 or 7, my loves them, also the first few I did was with 19 mm casing and the last batch was with 33 mm, I perfer the 33 mm as they seem more moist. I have a post in here of the first ones I did, take a look and compare to yours and remember we didn't add artificial colors, preservatives or cure to them . I can get you my address if you really don't like them so you can send them my way !! LOL Well I hope you close your eyes and give them a try as the flavor is very good, good luck and if you find a way to make them like the store let me know.
Tim

pikeman_95

Gus

I do Old Fashion German Frankfurters all the time. I only use the natural hog casings. The franks turn out great but are more of a dinner frank then a hot dog. I just ordered a half hank of sheep casings to try some dogs in. I will give them a quick heavy smoke then to the water bath.
By the way how is the mixer working for you.

Kirby

ghost9mm

Gus...we really enjoy your pictures and the outcome looks just great, never tried hotdogs, but I think I will give it a shot in the near future, thanks again for the great pictures...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

GusRobin

Kirby,
I put the mixer together and went to attach the drill and it seems the bit on the mixer needs a 1/2 " chuck and mine was a 3/8". I have an old 1/2" drill (very old, single speed) but lost the chuck key a while back. Went to Lowes and bought a replacement 1/2 " chuck. Couldn't get the chuck off the 3/8 drill. (Seems everyone has their special screw end that makes the 'universal " fits all stuff fit nothing). Meanwhile I took the drill apart hoping I could loosen it from the backside. No such luck. Only succeeded in making my reversible drill a "one way" drill. ( my next project is to fix that.) So I took the replacement chuck back to Lowes and said to my self why am I screwing with this? So I bought a nice cordless drill with a 1/2" chuck. It came with a "free" flashflight and carrying case. All in all a good excuse to buy a new toy.
Back to the mixer. Assembled it and it works great. I like the fact that I can emulsify the meat. Burnt up the wife's blender and chopper trying to do that before.(that's a whole story in itself for another day). I also like the fact that it cleans up very easy

SamuelG

GusRobin;)

I also burned the kitchen mixer!!!

And got the mixer from Kirby and it sure work great in 1/10 of the time!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

La Quinta

Gus...WOW....you are way more adventurous then I!!! Good on you...well done...I've made sausages but never hot dogs...wouldn't even know how!!! Guess I gotta learn!!!  ;D

Tenpoint5

Gus, The water inside the casing is actually a good thing. It helps aid in the removal of the casing. If your following the recipe I got from Curt and posted. It is for a skinless hotdog. They still taste great, ugly as hell but they taste great!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

Mine were ugly and tasted like they looked.