Observations after first smoke

Started by jb9, October 28, 2005, 11:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb9

The Bradley came on Tuesday, and I managed to wait to use it until Thursday. I decided to try some jerky for the first use. Mine came with a bunch of Special Blend, so I figured I'd wait to try the fancier recipes that call for specific types of wood.

I looked all over and it seems everyone does jerky in a different way, and it takes anywhere from 4 hours to a day or more. I really didn't know how long it would take. I ended up smoking it for aruond 2 hours and cooking it without smoke for another 5. I wanted to avoid overdoing the smoke. I figured with too little it would be a little bland but with too much it would be inedible. As it turned out, I could taste some smoke flavor last night, but today, I don't really notice it. Overall, I was pretty happy with the flavor I ended up with. I think next time I'll give it a little more smoke and a little more pepper and it'll be A-ok.

One of the problems I had was deciding what temperature to use. Based on USDA guidelines, I started it out turned up fairly high, but it took awhile to warm up. It took a half hour to get to 170. Looking back, that was probably happening in part because I didn't let the meat warm up before putting it on. It was straight out of the fridge. The temp varied throughout the evening. I had it fairly low for awhile, around 130, but as it got later, I let it get higher, around 140-145. I really wanted it done before I went to bed. I'll surely try again and I'll probably start it earlier in the day so I don't have to deal with going to bed when it's not done.

I also made a few general observations about the Bradley. Right out of the box, I was impressed with the quality. The fit of the racks, the seal on the door, and overall workmanship are impressive. The only bad point was something seems cockeyed, as it rocks. The four feet aren't quite level, and don't appear to be adjustable. I can live with that, but I'll have to shim it. It was pretty annoying.

I got a wireless thermometer and I can't imagine living without it. Temperature control still seems like a bit of a hassle, though. I'm looking into temp controls now. The guru is out of my price range. I'm an electronics guy and we have some sheet metal fab equipment at work, so I may try to transform one of those Cold Fusion PID things into a usable box. Or, even more fun, maybe I'll make my own from parts! It looks like some people are doing work in this area, so I'll have to make sure I don't reinvent the wheel.

This weekend, I'm thinking of trying some salmon. That would go over well with many people I know. I'll have to do a bigger item like a roast soon, too.

car54

Welcome JB6,

If you want to do salmon you might want to look at the link below. I have never heard a bad comment about it.

Use the forum search function to do your research. I f you have a question you will get an answer. Some of us are very knowledgeable. We are passionate without being arrogant.

Just a suggestion, if you do not have much smoking experience, keep a log of exactly how you prepared you meat, how you smoked it and the results.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105

Brad

jb9

Hmm, first read through, I thought you said you're "passionate about being arrogant." [:0]

I don't have the non-stick racks and the store in town doesn't carry them. Maybe I'll do some shopping on the net this weekend and cook the fish next weekend. That recipe looks like a winner.

car54

JB9,

I would not let the racks stop you. The best place to buy them from is Chez Bubba. Here is the link.

http://www.chezbubba.com/

Brad