Brisket timing

Started by 40-Dan, July 03, 2011, 08:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

40-Dan

Got a 12 pounder ready to go in after a preheat. I want it to come off around 10:00 tomorrow, but I really need to be elsewhere from 8 to 10. Will I dry it out if I set the auber to maintain 220 until IT of 190 to 195, then back off to 170 until I can take it off?

Also, what about total cook time?  I have an unmodified OBS with a dual probe auber. Various threads seem to vary between 12 and 18 hours (which is pretty significant). I've already planned for 3 hours of FTC in my timing.

This is my first brisket ever, and I'm still a noob to the Bradley, so I'm a little intimidated.

GusRobin

Can't answer that as I never leave the Bradley unattended for long.  The most I do in that regard is go to sleep on an overnight cook (but have the maverick high temp alarm set. Occasionally I will take a 10 minute run to the store.
if you are short on time on the back end, I would start it earlier. You can always FTC longer or reheat.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

40-Dan

For anyone else wondering, the actual TIB (time in Bradley) was just about 13 hours to an IT of 194. She's safely FTCing right now.

When do I pull from there and go into crockpot or oven?  Before it drops to 140 degrees?  At what point should the fridge become involved?  We hope to eat around 12:30 or 1:00.

GusRobin

Depending on how good your cooler is, some have FTCd for 6 hrs and stll maintained temp. I do mine for 3 hours and then put in the fridge. Reheat later either n a crock pot or put in a covered pan wth some beef stock.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

40-Dan

10-4.  At 8:0 it was at 148, so into the fridge it went. Will start reheat covered in 250 degree oven at noon.