First ABT'S

Started by Walnuts15, June 23, 2011, 10:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnuts15

Sorry for the lack of photos but i just made my first batch of these last night and for the most part they were awesome but dam they were wayyyyy to hot.I sent the wife to buy the peppers so maybe she bought the wrong ones but these were way hotter than anytime ive ever made salsa and used fresh jalapenos?? Any tricks to taking the heat out of these?? And i did remove all the seeds and veins. Thanks for any input.

Toker

Just rinse and soak them in cold water for about 3-5 minutes before stuffing them should improove.

muebe

After removing all the seeds and veins completely the jalapenos should be very mild. It sounds like the wife might have purchased something much hotter! ::)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ghost9mm

What muebe said...removing veins and seeds usually cuts the heat...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Walnuts15

Thats what i thought.I think i need to ask her what section she got them from.Thanks for the help.And i promise next time ill post pics ;D

SiFumar

What they said above about the Jala"s...should be very mild after cooking.  Would have been helpful to see the peppers.

richardvoyageur

Maybe the wifey grabbed habaneros instead?  :P
Sell the sizzle and the steak

Bigun

I had the same issue last weekend with what i'am sure were jalepenos. I will try soaking in water first today

kinyo

Quote from: Bigun on July 03, 2011, 09:17:31 AM
I had the same issue last weekend with what i'am sure were jalepenos. I will try soaking in water first today

Bigun, can you please keep us posted with the results.

I have had the same problem one time!

Thanks

Hamburgertoday

Hi Guys, Jalapeno's and most chile peppers will have a heat variance during the year depending on several factors.  It is really difficult to gauge the heat level of a jalapeno throughout the year (even from the same field).  the heat comes from the ribs so when you take them out that should help a bit but does not always guarantee that all of the heat will be gone.  habanero's are def different type of heat and def much hotter.  they are distinctly different in appearance and I doubt that you got them mixed up.  Soaking them will result in flavor loss and I wouldn't recommend that.  Just taste them before use and use more or less depending on where you want the heat dialed in. 
"We take the hamburger business more seriously than any one else" Ray Kroc

Chili Head

I've learned that peppers from the store are hit or miss on heat. Some have no heat and the next one lights you up. The ones with lines or veins on the outside of the pepper are generally the hotter ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk