Internal temp for a shoulder

Started by laserdoc, July 03, 2011, 02:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laserdoc

I rubbed down my 8 pound shoulder last night and placed it on the smoker at 8 this morning with a pan of raspberry wheat beer underneath to catch the drippings. At 5:45 the internal temp of the meat is 145 .Have been pretty steady inside the box at around 200 all day. What should my internal temp be when I need to pull it off?
Plan to chop it up tonight and pour the drip pan into it and keep it in the crock pot for tomorrow BBQ contest

Ka Honu

Pull it at 195-200o, then FTC with some of the juice for a couple of hours before pulling.  I'd turn the heat up a bit.  Your box temp should have been closer to 225o; at 200o it may never get done.  If it gets too late, it might even be time to put it in the house oven and turn the temp up a bit (300o).

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

laserdoc

ok slid the slider all the way over. In another 2 hours I will see where it is reading.
What is FTC ??

laserdoc

Ok I pulled it when it was 170.
Chopped it up and added a bit more rub to it. poured the beer drippings in to it, All is good but I feel it is a bit to dry. Will add some apple juice to it in the morning. Probably should had pulled it at around 155. Not sure what everyone is talking about to pull it when the temp reaches 195 to 200 ????? If I had waited until it was that high I feel it would have been way to dry!!!

GusRobin

a butt/shoulder will get tender and juicy as the collegen in the meat breaks down. This happens at around 160-170s range depending upon the pig (some are stubborn). Take a butt out at 170 and taste a piece then put it back in until it gets to 195-200, FTC for a couple of hours and you will notice a big difference in tenderness and juiciness. (FTC is: Foil the meat with some juice, wrap in a towel, and put in a cooler (no ice) for a couple of hours. If you don't have a good cooler you can Foil it and put it in a microwave (don"t turn it on)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

laserdoc

ok  will try that the next time!!

NePaSmoKer

180 sliced and chopped

185 slice, pull & chopped

195-205 pulled and shredded.