smoked bacon

Started by raptorman, October 30, 2005, 07:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raptorman

Iwas wondering if i could pick your collective minds. i have been making my own dry cure bacon, with not bad results.now i would like to smoke some of it.
Is it just a case of putting it in my BS and cold smoking, if so smoke for how long.
or will i have to wet cure before i can cold smoke.
your help would be appreciated,

Oldman

I will E-mail two members here I know that do bacon, SmokeHouse Rob and MallardWacker. I'm sure they will be able to help you out.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

you can wet or dry cure before smoking, but before putting in the smoker you will need to air dry it first, with a fan, it will take on a better smoke, for more detailed instructions click on this link, http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34 they say 8 hours of cold smoke, i think thats abit too much. I would only do for a max of 4 hours.
i hope this helps you out, Duck Man will chime in here soon,

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

sorry duck man need to remove that pic, LOL

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

forgot to say , Raptorman welcome to the forum.

raptorman

Thanks for your help. will perpare my bacon for next weekends smoking

MallardWacker

Rap Man,

This is how I do it with the temps>>>>>My Dissertation
This is one of my documented projects>>>>>Intence Maple

HTH and let us now your outcome.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

Thanks for helping out guys....

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

raptorman

Gentlemen thank you for your help. One more question, how long will this bacon keep once smoked

Chez Bubba

Not very long if you do it right![;)][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Not very long if you do it right![;)][:D][:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[:D][:D]LOL[:D][:D]
Same thing happens with Jerky.  I can fill the smoker to the brim, but I've never frozen any yet!

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Not very long if you do it right![;)][:D][:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<b><font size="2"><font color="red">Word to the BUBBA!</font id="red"> </font id="size2"> </b>

But really, mine has never lasted long enough to worry about it.  If you vac-u-suck and freeze, I think it would last for a long time.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...