barbecued chicken

Started by bozer, July 05, 2011, 08:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bozer

Hey all,

I want to grill barbecued chicken on my gas grill. I normally do this over indirect heat for about an hour. But what if I wanted to add smoke?  Most recipes mention creating smoke pouches for your gas grill, but I have a Bradley. Is there a way to smoke chicken pieces in the Bradley, then put on the grill and sauce them? I'm not looking to use a rub, I just want some smoke flavor to go with my BBQ'd chicken

Tenpoint5

I would run them with smoke for about an hour in the Bradley at 225ยบ with the vent wide open. then transfer to the grill for finishing
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

muebe

Just smoke them for an hour at 225F to 250F in the Bradley like 10.5 said. Then take them off and grill as you normally would. It makes for great smoked flavor chicken ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

smoker pete

I'm getting slower in my old age ;D ;D

I was going to suggest what Tenpoint5 and muebe said ... Have done it many times using Hickory, Pecan, Apple, Cherry, or Special Blend Bisquettes ... They're all good!!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

ghost9mm

Yep!!!what they said.. and I have done a hour smoke in the Bradley and then finish them in TBE...all works well...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

bozer

Thanks folks. Do you bother with a rub on the chicken? I'm thinking a naked smoke with this new Budweiser BBQ sauce my wife found in the supermarket.

Tenpoint5

That's up to you I would hit it with a rub
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smoker pete

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 05, 2011, 08:21:01 PM

Me too.  I like to hit it with EVOO under and on the skin and then apply the rub under and on the skin before I smoke the chicken.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

OU812

Quote from: smoker pete on July 06, 2011, 07:19:15 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 05, 2011, 08:21:01 PM

Me too.  I like to hit it with EVOO under and on the skin and then apply the rub under and on the skin before I smoke the chicken.

Me too but I use unsalted butter rather than EVOO.

bozer

What's a good chicken rub I could buy online?

So an hour at 225, then how long on the grill? Just long enough to crisp it up?

muebe

I would take the chicken in the Bradley to a IT of around 140F with a cabinet temp of 225F to 250F and then finish the chicken on the grill ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)