Smoked Trout Questions

Started by Caribou, July 06, 2011, 03:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Hi Everyone,
We were at the butcher shop yesterday and my daughter saw these beautiful smoked (heads on) and now she wants to catch and smoke her own trout "just like those"
So, we're leaving early tomorrow to go catch some trout for her first smoking project.  I doubt they'll be any over a foot long, but you never know.

I have only smoked salmon filets using Kummocks method and looking at the recipe site I didn't think I saw any recipe for smoking a whole, gutted trout.
Kummocks brine recipe was tasty on the salmon, I'm assuming it would be good on the trout, too.
Any info on smoke times and temps would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Carolyn

SamuelG

Carolyn,

I have used it with Snapper and Grouper with great results.

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

Habanero Smoker

The best brine I every use for trout is Boutch's Smoked Trout. Since your fish will be smaller, I would reduce the brining time. When I smoke whole fish I wedge a piece of bamboo skewer or popsicle stick onto the cavity to keep it open.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

devo

Yup what Hab said. I did use Kummocks brine on these and they where very good. I did try to hang them with the head but the heat was just to much for them and fell off so i just finished them on the racks.

Caribou

Thanks guys :)
I'll try that then.
We caught 10 this morning and we're going to smoke the 5 biggest ones and fry up the 5 smallest ones for dinner tonight.
This is going to be fun.
Carolyn

smoker pete

Nice catch!!  Can't wait to see the pics ...

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Caribou

Quote from: smoker pete on July 07, 2011, 12:10:45 PM
Nice catch!!  Can't wait to see the pics ...
:D :D :D
They weren't too impressive size wise.
Carolyn

Caribou

Ok, We started brining the trout last night.
I went with Boutch's recipe this time.
Since they are small but not fileted, I'm guessing 10 hours brine time should be enough.
Wouldn't skin slow the brine penetrating???
Carolyn

pikeman_95

If they are small they will do fine. They will still soak up the brine. We used to small salmon and brine them 12 hours and then smoked them.

Caribou

Oh good :)
They are in the smoker right now.
I'm taking pics and will post them to show how they turned out.
Carolyn

Caribou

The trout came out really nice

I'm letting them "rest" for 24 hours before we taste them.
Keep y'all posted :)
Carolyn