Smoking Skinless Atlantic Salmon

Started by devo, July 07, 2011, 11:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

I was at the super store today and picked up some Atlantic Salmon. Turns out it is skinless. Never tried smoking skinless salmon before so I am assuming I will have to pay closer attention to temps and rotating of racks. Got it all cut up and sitting in Kummuk's brine for tomorrows smoke. Any suggestions about the skinless part is welcomed.

smoker pete

Have done skinless Atlantic Salmon from Costco a few times devo and used Kummuk's recipe and temps with no problem.  I don't do anything different when smoking skinless salmon vs salmon with skin.  As long as you keep the temps down and ramp them as called for you shouldn't have any problems.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Kummok

All my salmon is smoked skinless, Devo (and boneless)...shouldn't have any problems at all...especially if you are using the frogmats. Of course, there IS that little issue of glowing in the dark after eating farmed Atlantic  ;) ;)

kinyo

Me too I always smoke my salmon skinless. Never had a problem!

devo

All done. started at 9AM and just finished the larger pieces. The thinner ones came out about an hour ago. Another success  ;)

OU812

Pepseaman

A little FYI regarding the Superstore. They also sell the salmon "bits". Which are essentially tail pieces and trimmings, at half the price.
I have some drying now.

Cheers

Kummok

Most of the smokers that I know (and respect) up here do the same "salmon bits" thing when cleaning/trimming their salmon....save the tails and collars for later smoking. The best "bit" is actually the bellys, which is the best part of the whole salmon IMO. Very smart of Superstore to market what other stores might toss away as scrap...wonder how long it will be before they REALLY market it as "smoker quality reserve" and charge more than the rest of the salmon?!? :-\

Smokeville

Quote from: Kummok on July 11, 2011, 10:39:28 AM
Most of the smokers that I know (and respect) up here do the same "salmon bits" thing when cleaning/trimming their salmon....save the tails and collars for later smoking. The best "bit" is actually the bellys, which is the best part of the whole salmon IMO. Very smart of Superstore to market what other stores might toss away as scrap...wonder how long it will be before they REALLY market it as "smoker quality reserve" and charge more than the rest of the salmon?!? :-\

My worry exactly! I have our local store saving all their belly for me when they trim the salmon for centre cuts. They were selling it mixed in with other scrap as fish stew ($2.49/lb) and throwing out what didn't sell that way. I pick up almost 25lbs a week and turn it into "Salmon Bacon" (your name for it Kummok!) and Indian Candy.

Rich

Kummok

Unbelievable!! Guess what I just got in my junk mail today from great-alaska-seafood.com....(these folks must read this forum cuz I'm really NOT a prophet  ;) )... No tail sections offered yet but what I predicted would be "Smoker Quality Reserve" looks like what the Japanese enjoy as "Sakai Cut". I hope that your Superstore doesn't see this. Pepseaman!!  :o

"Sakai Cut" Alaska King Salmon Fillets
By Special Request
We Have A Limited Supply Of Premium King Salmon "Sakai Cut Fillets".
Sakai Cut is the very Forward Portion of a King Salmon Fillet, with the collar meat still attached and the fin removed.
Sought after by our customers in the Premium Japanese Market, we have set aside a limited amount and are making them available to you, our prefered customer.
We Harvest The World's Very Finest Wild King Salmon.  Pictured above is a Premium Kalgin Island "SAKAI CUT" King Salmon Fillet. These fillets do contain some bones.
"

Pepseaman

"Sakai Cut" Alaska King Salmon Fillets
By Special Request
We Have A Limited Supply Of Premium King Salmon "Sakai Cut Fillets".
Sakai Cut is the very Forward Portion of a King Salmon Fillet, with the collar meat still attached and the fin removed.
Sought after by our customers in the Premium Japanese Market, we have set aside a limited amount and are making them available to you, our prefered customer.
We Harvest The World's Very Finest Wild King Salmon.  Pictured above is a Premium Kalgin Island "SAKAI CUT" King Salmon Fillet. These fillets do contain some bones."

sounds like they are maximizing their profit, Kummok. I think/hope we will be safe here on the east coast.