Smoked Turkey

Started by smokey19, July 15, 2011, 07:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokey19

Anyone out there have a good recipe for smoked turkey, I want to do one up next weekend but have never done one this way before.  From what I've read it works best at about 235F with an apple or cherry smoke and about 25min per pound. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ???

KyNola

A couple of things you need to know about poultry.  Poultry is a smoke sponge. 2-3 hours will most likely be plenty of smoke.  Poultry is also full of moisture so make sure your vent is wide open.  I normally rub the skin down with oil and apply whatever rub I am going to use.  Personally I prefer Jan's Dry Rub but there are plenty of other good ones out there.  I would try to be smoke/cooking at 250 as you want to get the poultry cooked as soon as possible to prevent growth of things that can make you sick.  Lastly, the skin is going to be rubbery.  The Bradley normally won't crisp up the skin.  You could always transfer it to your house oven and complete the cooking there if crisp skin is a priority.

Quarlow

Smoked Turkey:

1 Turkey
1 Bradley smoker
3 Hrs smoke

Apply smoke, continue cooking till done.
This is the short version.

:D :D :D Just kidding. I'll go back to my corner now. Ky seems to have you covered.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.