2nd element or the 900 watt single PICS OF FAN MOD ADDED !!

Started by cjj, July 08, 2011, 12:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjj

What do you thinks is the better way to go add a nother 500 watt element or the 900 watt single ? thanks

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

The answer is going to depend on who did what mod. I did the additional element 2 years ago, and never has a problem. The installation is very easy, so I would have to say go with the second element.

Just note; that it is not recommended to do this mod without some type of temperature controller, such as a PID or DigiQ II.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

cjj

Grainger also sell it for $48  pt # 2xdw1. I have a PID to control it with  i will be asking for help on how to set it up after I install  another element or just the 900w thanks

ffrcoupe

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 08, 2011, 01:18:04 PM
The answer is going to depend on who did what mod. I did the additional element 2 years ago, and never has a problem. The installation is very easy, so I would have to say go with the second element.

Just note; that it is not recommended to do this mod without some type of temperature controller, such as a PID or DigiQ II.

Why?

Habanero Smoker

Without an PID, DigiQ II or other type of temperature controller the cabinet temperature could over heat and cause a fire. You can add the additional sensor and in-line fuse as TestRocket installed, but that may not be a fail safe setup. In addition to his extra safety precautions, TestRocket also uses a PID with his setup.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ffrcoupe

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 12, 2011, 01:32:43 AM
Without an PID, DigiQ II or other type of temperature controller the cabinet temperature could over heat and cause a fire. You can add the additional sensor and in-line fuse as TestRocket installed, but that may not be a fail safe setup. In addition to his extra safety precautions, TestRocket also uses a PID with his setup.

That makes sense.

I didn't think about it catching on fire.

beefmann

i do and have had it for many years and it has not  failed me yet

cjj

Well i Installed a 900 watt element and just did the auto tune I got  P-37 , I - 329 , D- 82 ,  does that sound about right ? It seems to be OK , I am  Going to do a pork butt this weekend    I will let you all know how it comes out Thanks for everyones Help

beefmann

Keymaster

Quote from: cjj on July 12, 2011, 04:42:04 PM
Well i Installed a 900 watt element and just did the auto tune I got  P-37 , I - 329 , D- 82 ,  does that sound about right ? It seems to be OK , I am  Going to do a pork butt this weekend    I will let you all know how it comes out Thanks for everyones Help
You have any pictures of the Mod so we might help find any potential problems/not trying to scrutinize your work just want to be safe  :)

cjj

I have some pics but I can't figure out how to post them ?

Keymaster

I use photobucket .com and it is easy to upload photos to it.Then after upload you just copy and paste the image code into your post.