2nd element or the 900 watt single PICS OF FAN MOD ADDED !!

Started by cjj, July 08, 2011, 12:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjj

THANKS FOR THE HELP HERE ARE SOME PICS OF MY MOD . I DID CHANGE THE WIRE TO # 12 HEAT RESISENT WIRE

muebe

Cjj nice job! But how come you got the element with the connections on the same side? The link I sent you was for the one with electrical connections on each side? Did you want that design? Or they send the wrong one?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

cjj

THAT IS THE GRAINGER  ELEMENT  i DID NOT  GET THAT LINK  WOULD HVE BEEN A LITTLE EASER TO INSALL  IT WAS NOT THAT HARD TO INSTALL i JUST PULLED OFF THE BACK AND REPLACED THE WIRE WITH HEAVY GAUGE WIRE    GOING TO DO A PORK BUTT THIS  WEEKEND I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT  THANKS AGAIN

muebe

Quote from: cjj on July 13, 2011, 02:35:43 PM
THAT IS THE GRAINGER  ELEMENT  i DID NOT  GET THAT LINK  WOULD HVE BEEN A LITTLE EASER TO INSALL  IT WAS NOT THAT HARD TO INSTALL i JUST PULLED OFF THE BACK AND REPLACED THE WIRE WITH HEAVY GAUGE WIRE    GOING TO DO A PORK BUTT THIS  WEEKEND I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT  THANKS AGAIN

There are four different 900w finned elements available. Two are 120v and two are 240v. And you have the choice of one connection on each side or both connections on one side. For others who attempt this mod it is easier to use the one with connections on each side of the element. The one cjj installed will work but will be more difficult to install due to the connectors are on one side. The elements are the same in price.... just a different design.

Sorry cjj I thought I gave you the link for the right element when I sent you the PM
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

ffrcoupe

Quote from: muebe on July 13, 2011, 03:01:55 PMThere are four different 900w finned elements available. Two are 120v and two are 240v. And you have the choice of one connection on each side or both connections on one side. For others who attempt this mod it is easier to use the one with connections on each side of the element. The one cjj installed will work but will be more difficult to install due to the connectors are on one side. The elements are the same in price.... just a different design

Is this the one you are talking about? http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=2xef3&op=search&Ntt=2xef3&N=0&sst=subset

smoker pete

Quote from: ffrcoupe on July 14, 2011, 03:50:04 AM
Quote from: muebe on July 13, 2011, 03:01:55 PMThere are four different 900w finned elements available. Two are 120v and two are 240v. And you have the choice of one connection on each side or both connections on one side. For others who attempt this mod it is easier to use the one with connections on each side of the element. The one cjj installed will work but will be more difficult to install due to the connectors are on one side. The elements are the same in price.... just a different design

Is this the one you are talking about? http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=2xef3&op=search&Ntt=2xef3&N=0&sst=subset

I have the 2XEF3 model (connections on each side) that the link points to in a box right now waiting installation.  What did you use to mount the 900 watt element cjj?  Muebe used brackets for drapes.  Looking at the photo cjj it looks like you have long bolts acting as mounting posts!?

Please explain.  Thanks

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

muebe

Quote from: ffrcoupe on July 14, 2011, 03:50:04 AM

Yes that is the one...

cjj

I CUT A PIECE OF ALUMIUN TO FIT THE BOLT PATTERN OF THE PORCLIN I PUT THAT BETWEEN THE 2 PIECES OF PORCILIN  AND THEN MOUNTED IT TO THE ELEMENT WITH THE BOLT YOU SEE

OU812

Quote from: cjj on July 14, 2011, 12:23:42 PM
I CUT A PIECE OF ALUMIUN TO FIT THE BOLT PATTERN OF THE PORCLIN I PUT THAT BETWEEN THE 2 PIECES OF PORCILIN  AND THEN MOUNTED IT TO THE ELEMENT WITH THE BOLT YOU SEE

Great idea.

macsfire

Is it necessary to have a switch, on the second element.  It seems to me that if you are using a pid, which you recommend with a second element.  If you switch the second element off than your paramaters on the pid or not set correctly.

TedEbear

Quote from: macsfire on August 08, 2011, 08:09:58 AM
Is it necessary to have a switch, on the second element. 

No.  I have dual elemnts on my OBS and no switch for the second one.  Everything is controlled by the PID.

macsfire

Thank's TedEbear.  I think that's the way I am going to hook up my 2nd element.  Just waiting for part's.  How long have you been using your 2 element's.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: macsfire on August 08, 2011, 08:09:58 AM
Is it necessary to have a switch, on the second element.  It seems to me that if you are using a pid, which you recommend with a second element.  If you switch the second element off than your paramaters on the pid or not set correctly.

It is not necessary, but it comes in handy. For example, one member's PID failed, so it was just a matter of flipping the switch to turn off the second element and using the smoker as origianally designed.

I've been using my dual element hookup for more then 2 years. I came up with the idea of adding the switch, because I keep my smoker outside 24 seven. Each time I wanted to use a temperature control device, I would have to hook it up. There are several things I smoke/cook that I don't need my temperature control device. During those smokes, I just turn off the second element, and I don't have to hook up the controller.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

macsfire

Thank's Habanero those are some good points.

Raymillsus

Can you add a 900watt element to a BDS without adding a PID or is the PID still necessary. I am not really interested in adding a PID. (atleast not yet)