2nd element or the 900 watt single PICS OF FAN MOD ADDED !!

Started by cjj, July 08, 2011, 12:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

Quote from: macsfire on August 08, 2011, 11:58:47 AM
Thank's TedEbear.  I think that's the way I am going to hook up my 2nd element.  Just waiting for part's.  How long have you been using your 2 element's.

I added the second element about 6 months ago.  It has been running fine other than one element going out that was part of the rash of bad elements that many owners had problems with.

macsfire

I have a DBS 4 rack and I will be putting in a second element when I get the part's.  I think I would like to add a switch but the only place to put the switch that I can see is on the back.  I had thought about the 900 watt element, and if I keep burning out elements this will be the way I go.

photobyallen

Quote from: cjj on July 13, 2011, 12:53:57 PM
THANKS FOR THE HELP HERE ARE SOME PICS OF MY MOD . I DID CHANGE THE WIRE TO # 12 HEAT RESISENT WIRE

Looks inmpressive, what are the other mods on the left hand side? I have the Digital 6Rack myself and think my heating element went out. I am calling Bradley tomorrow to hopefully get it taken care of, but if this is going to be an ongoing problem I would like a more secure solution.

Thanks
Allen

cjj

What you see on the inside of the smoker is were i ran new wire to hook up the new element   If you use the 2XEF3 model (connections on each side) you will not have to run new wire  If you are looking at the pic of the smoker from the outside , that is a PID controller. This past weekend I added a 3 1/2in  fan mod to the very top left of the smoker   I made some jerky  all 3 selves were done  in 4 hrs  I will try to post some pic later   thanks Chet

cjj

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Raymillsus on August 08, 2011, 10:11:56 PM
Can you add a 900watt element to a BDS without adding a PID or is the PID still necessary. I am not really interested in adding a PID. (atleast not yet)
Raymillsus;
It is not advisable. The electronics in the DBS where designed to handle around 650 watts

Quote from: macsfire on August 09, 2011, 02:16:19 PM
I have a DBS 4 rack and I will be putting in a second element when I get the part's.  I think I would like to add a switch but the only place to put the switch that I can see is on the back.  I had thought about the 900 watt element, and if I keep burning out elements this will be the way I go.

Macsfire;

Those who have added the switch to the DBS have installed it on the back panel. Fortunately I have not purchased any of the faulty elements. They should be out of every one's inventory by now. Though there could still be a few in smokers sitting on some one's display.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

macsfire

Thank's Habanero that is where I will put it.  Unfortunately the ceramic insulator broke, when I was replacing the element that had burned out and nobody has any of them, they are on back order.  Hope to get one late next week.  we are running out of smoked meat.

ghosttown

Looking in doing this mod in my OBS, I was wondering in the picture on page 2 of the 900 watts, what is the two white blocks on each side made out of? Did you change all the wiring from the power source to the element with a higher gauge?

manfromplaid

they are the ceramic mounting blocks that come stock with the smoker. the high temp wire in the smoker will work fine.

ghosttown

Just curious to see how other people mounted their 900 watts element. I'm leading towards installing the 900 watts instead of a second element.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

michsmoker

BS611 w/900w mod
Auber dual probe PID

ghosttown

Okay upgrading the wires it is :)

ghosttown

Quote from: ghosttown on July 08, 2015, 06:26:45 PM
Okay upgrading the wires it is :),  anybody know where I can buy the 900 watts element that ships to Canada?

Seancwolfe

Would also be interested as to where a Canuck can source these parts :).  Dual probe PID will be coming first but always need to have a future mod on the horizon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghosttown

What is the benefits of having a dual probe pid?