Need help,and fast!

Started by xxclaro, July 08, 2011, 04:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxclaro

I'm a little concerned right now,so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I have 6 pork loins,averaging 3kg each. I have borrowed a Bradley smoker(non-digital) with 4 racks. I can't comfortably fit more than 1 loin per rack,so will have to smoke in 2 sets.
My plan is to cold smoke for 2-3 hours,then cook on the barbeque. I've never done this much meat at once,so I'm a bit nervous. It's for a small wedding,and I want it to be good and not cause food poisoning! So, does this plan sound solid? I will smoke tonight,let sit in the fridge overnight and cook tommorow. Also, how long should I count on for cooking? My bbq will handle all at once,so no problem there. What temps should I cook at,and should I lay down tinfoil to keep the juices in? Also, do you usually season before smoking or after smoking and before cooking?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm in a bit of a panic and really want to get this right. All my previous smoking has been done on a charcoal smoker or my homemade electric cold smoker,so the Bradley is a step up for me.

Quarlow

Some will suggest you don't cold smoke and not cook right away. You will really need to make sure you watch your temps. If you get into the danger zone you are risking bad things growing. Someone with the states on this will be along soon.
I would rather hot smoke them to doneness on the low side and then reheat on the grill when needed. Or hot smoke till near done and then finish on the grill, being careful not to over cook and then wrap in tin foil and reheat in the oven.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

BC Smokin

Sounds like quite an undertaking, to cook for a wedding on a cooker you've not used before. I am interested in how this turns out s I am cooking a brisket for my son's wedding in August.

Sorry, but I am not much help to you as I am new to this also.

muebe

Does the OBS have a cold smoke adapter or is the puck burner located in the cabinet? This makes a big difference when cold smoking.

If I was to cold smoke the loins I would make sure they are very cold before going in. Also make sure the water bowl is full of ice to keep the temps down. I heard a block of dry ice will work very well also. Make sure to cold smoke when the temps outside are cool. And I would only cold smoke for an hour and not three.

The key is too keep the cabinet cool. You do not want guests getting food poisoning. Make sure the loins do not get warm and your plan should work great.

As far as grilling....loins cook really fast. I would cook them on low flame with the lid down and place the loins on the top rack or in-direct heat. Cook them until the IT is at 150F to 160F.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)