Brisket dilemma....

Started by freakaccident, July 08, 2011, 11:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freakaccident

My mother thought it would be a nice idea for me to smoke a brisket at their house this weekend.  I agreed and she went off and bought the brisket.  She bought a corned beef brisket.  It's in some solution and the package says it is a tenderizing solution.  There is also the corned beef spice pack inside. 

Is there anyway I can smoke this thing and get something good out of it?  I was thinking of just slapping it on to see what happens but I'm not sure what to do.  It is small with no fat cap on it.  I was considering laying bacon over it. 

Any suggestions? 

3rensho

Well, if it is already corned beef then slap a mixture of coarse ground black pepper and coriander (1:1) on it, smoke it and you have pastrami.  Tastes great too.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

freakaccident

Quote from: 3rensho on July 08, 2011, 11:57:56 PM
Well, if it is already corned beef then slap a mixture of coarse ground black pepper and coriander (1:1) on it, smoke it and you have pastrami.  Tastes great too.

Ok.  Thanks.  Ill do just that.

Habanero Smoker

You can also just smoke it. Many members smoke corned beef with little seasoning adding. You don't have to take it as high as you would an uncured brisket, you can take it to 165°F - 175°F and slice it thin across the grain.

If you are going to make pastrami, I'm kind of partial to the rub in the following recipe. :) Just scroll down to the "Dry Rub Ingredients"
Beef Pastrami

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Habs absolutely steered you in the right direction with his beef pastrami rub recipe.  I have made it many times and it is great.

watchdog56

I have turned my corned beef brisket into pastrami a couple of time but you need to soak the brisket to get some of the salt out. I usually do mine for 24 hours replacing the water a couple of times. If you don not have that much time I would at least an hour changing the water a couple of times.