Pork Butt Question??

Started by Cubzfan74, July 11, 2011, 07:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cubzfan74

So I started a 7lb shoulder bone out yesterday morning at about 7:00 a.m., all was going well with a four hour smoke and DBS temp was steady at 220. About 4:30 the storm from hell came rolling in and I had to pull the butt from the DBS and put it in the oven. It hit 163 degrees about 7:00 and held there as somewhat expected. Midnight rolls around and it is still hanging right there at 163. I lowered the oven temp to 215 and went to bed. I was up for work at 4:30 and it was only at 173. I had to pull it and FTC. Here I sit at work with the cooler in front of me.  :(. I guess my question is how long do I let it sit before I throw it in the fridge (cooler and all) and how do I go about pulling it when I get home tonight? Do I reheat first or pull and then reheat? Everything looks great but the temp thing is killing me and I never had to pull one before it was at least 190.

KyNola

If there is any way you can do this at work, pull it as soon as you take it out of the cooler and before you put it in the frig.  Otherwise it will be very difficult to pull.

smoker pete

You might just slice it this time instead of pulling it.  Did a sliced Pork Butt last week and it turned out great.  Took it out at 175ยบ, FTC, and then sliced it.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Cubzfan74

Thanks for the advice. I may have to slice this one cold when I get home. I put it in the fridge after being in the cooler for 3 hours. Unfortunatley no where to do it at work and plus my employees would eat everything.  ;D. I will let eveyone know how it turns out tonight.

GusRobin

I have hada similar situation. I ended up putting it back in the oven and heating it to 195 and then pulled.  As long as it wasn't hanging in the danger zone (40 -140) you should be ok. It came out great when i did it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Cubzfan74

So I could not control myself, I pulled it out of the fridge and it was still warm so I cut a chunk off. Flavor is great and it just falls apart. No need for sauce here. I will have to slice the rest when I get home so the wife does not kill me. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Cubzfan74

;D I could not be happier!! It turned out to be the best pulled pork that I have ever made. I brought it home, opened the foil and put some of the juice that I drained off this morning. I put it in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes. It absolutley fell apart and was super moist! My fear and frustration of the unknown is over! Sorry I was so excited about it I forgot to take pictures.

squirtthecat