COLS SMOKE ADAPTER

Started by Jim O, July 11, 2011, 09:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

I feel the same about the silicone,but I think you could use that foil duct tape.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mrphilips

while my HOT-SMOKED chicken cooks, and seeing as you guys have been so encouraging, i'll give you a brief history...

i bought the BPS.
it works but is touchy, uncontrolable temperature-wise and a fair amount of work.
i put a cardboard box on it temporarily for a cold-smoker, and it worked once... twice... three times...
then i got lazy, looked the other way and while the fire engulfed my smoker and the box and the pipe and the barbeque cover and some of the deck, i received unhappy conversation from my wife.

so i bought the mailbox, which also worked a bit... but was too hot (i front-mounted it cause of afore-mentioned concerns and wasn't sure about the vent-tape - stuff gets really hot) and that caused the drier-vent pipe to burn a bit, making everything taste like aluminum.
the BPS burns P (propane), which produces water, and everything not only cold-smokes, but cold steams, and it's messy and i got fed up - especially considering it doesn't even hot-smoke well, in my opinion.

so i bought the BOS? (original smoker) when it went on sale at Canadian Tire, and here we are.

so yes - i trust you when you say the box might burn - but that was propane, electric is much less likely.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Quarlow on October 23, 2011, 02:44:53 PM
One of the nicest ones I have seen was made with a unused hydraulic tank from Princess Auto which he cut a door into the front and put a pipe out the top. shortly after Bradley came out with there version for about what it cost him to build his. That said I will still build my own when I find time as I like to make stuff.

Thanks Q... That's my setup.  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mrphilips

damn, that's a nice one, walleye

Quarlow

That's the beauty. Sorry I didn't know who's it was but I have a memory like a sieve with the bottom knocked out.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Mr Walleye

MrPhillips

I just re-read some of the posts and see your smoker set up is on the third floor. The wind pressure will definitely be more difficult to control there especially with that particular setup. When you use the cold smoke adapter, be it the real macoy or a cardboard box, the only place air can draw from is through the generator. It the wind blows the only thing it can do is increase the flow not stop it which is what is occurring now.

I know from experience the larger the wall (think your house here) the more pressure the wind has against it. A number of years ago I used to look after an 86 suite apt. building. When it would rain with wind, up on the 7th to 9th floor, the windows would fill with water and literally look like an aquarium. There was enough wind pressure on the side of the building to push the rain through the small drain holes on the bottom of the window sill.

Mike

mrphilips

i'm getting that, yeah...
at this point now - since i'm not moving anytime soon ;) - i'm trying to figure out the best solution to over-come it.
it seems whatever i do, it'll have to be tight against the wind... that y-pipe end may be the real culprit then. it's too open. i'm not sure the best move to make next, but i'm still thinking a well-watched cardboard box may be the best considering the options... it's temporary and iffy, yes - but tight and disposable too.

one day i will buy my own house and have a garage...

Mr Walleye

Thanks guys

I built it just before Bradley came out with theirs. Go figure!  ::)  :D

Mike

Mr Walleye

You already have the pipe, all you need is a cardboard box. I think this is worth a shot. If it works well you can always buy a cold smoke adaptor later.

Mike

mrphilips

i think that's my next step.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on October 23, 2011, 03:47:54 PM
Thanks guys

I built it just before Bradley came out with theirs. Go figure!  ::)  :D

Mike

Mike,

Yours is much better. After going through a few cardboard boxes, I purchased the Bradley Cold Smoke Adapter. I wished they made it a little bigger, so I could fit my hot plate inside to use for smoking other woods. Took me a while to find a hot plate that would fit inside.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Thanks Habs

I have used it to burn other woods as well. I can't remember the actual dimensions but I think it's about 14 x 14 or 16 x 16 and about 12 or 14 inches high. It's definitely solid enough.  ;D

Mike

PS
I just ment back and looked when I built it and it's 16 x 16 x 16.

mrphilips

guys, i had a late thought: a wooden box would have essentially the same types of concerns as a cardboard box, but be significatly more robust and re-usable, and also significatly more heat-resistent... right?

i am considering wood just because i can work with it quite easily (unlike cutting metal) and because usable found objects are commonly available... a couple of drawers from a tossed-out chest or something.

Quarlow

Wood would be more robust than cardboard and less flammable than cardboard. But it is still combustable so you really would have to watch it as much as cardboard.  Oh I just had a thought. Dang it's a good one too. I have a large coffee can that will work perfect. If I can get it away from Wombat (that would be my wife). She is using it for change but it would take 200 years to fill it. Hmmm.

OBS
BBQ

mrphilips

i'm thinking if the wood is thick enough (3/4"?), and the box is big enough, there's enough heat distribution to far exceed the cardboard's tolerance. i could also use the "smoker" end of my maverick dual probe thermometer in the cold-adapter to assess heat build-up in there.... and since none of this is intended to function without close supervision, i may just try that out and be satisfied... but metal is obviously superior.

what size coffe can are you talking about?