COLS SMOKE ADAPTER

Started by Jim O, July 11, 2011, 09:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

I think you will be as successful as the card board box, actually more so cause you can put a hinged door on it. It will work fine. Here is the coffee can I have.

This is going to work great. But Wombat is hating me right now. LOL.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Quarlow

If you get your chimney right over the puck burner the heat will shoot right up it and you won't have too much build up of heat in a wood box.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

mrphilips

that's a big can, lol.
thinking...

viper125

I've got quite a few tool boxes. Think I may use one of the utility boxes. Turn it on its side and use the top lid as the door. Hey it's here ,free and not being used. LOL
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Quarlow

Haha I got that from one of the docks we go to here in vancouver. The company paid for all the coffee they drank. Of course the longshoremen in charge would make us drivers pay for the coffee but they would donate the money to a christmas charity in ours and their name which was nice that they acknowledged us. They drank a lot of coffee there. That is a twenty pound can.
A tool box will work good. I looked at them also. I just didn't want to pay for something cause I like to reuse other things so they don't end up in the trash. If you have a tool box use it. It is kind of cool to see who can come up with something unusual for a cold smoker. I still love the mailbox, but this coffee can, I think is unique.

OBS
BBQ

viper125

Yes I'd rather have the coffee also. It is unique and Good looking. But as you said the box is here and I also like to recycle. Never have I seen a coffee container that big.
Inside setup.

Jim O

Hey Quarlow

Are you a "can" hauler from the port ?

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ

mrphilips

so... i've gotten this far on recycled/available stuff in my spare room:

it's 3/4" russion birch plywood.
not sure how great the glue/chemical situation is but i'm hoping  :P the chamber gets a good coating of smoke-tar which would keep anything nasty from coming in?
fits the smoke generator snugly, the pipe extends directly above the smoke plate and it has that open door in the back for access...
next stop, test it out for temp control.
i may need to add some heat diffusers... i'm thinking closed-off copper pipes stuffed down tight holes in the top and extending up a foot or so, to draw excess heat out, but we'll see how bad it gets in there after an hour or two.

Quarlow

Very nice work MP. I can only sayn that as a child my dad built UPS's (ugly plywood smokers) out of ordinary plywood and I am still alive. I seem to be normal( and I use this term loosely) with no limbs falling off or anything weird......ok maybe weird is the wrong way to put but you get my drift.  ;D ;D ;D

OBS
BBQ

viper125

Plywood does have some nasty chemicals. But have seen many smokers made from them. Haven't heard or seen any one hurt because of it. But the dryer wood gets the lower the flash point. I have know them to burst into flames even at low temps. So be careful!
Inside setup.

devo

Many smokers are made from plywood, if your interested in building one i posted a how to back in march.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21343.msg260280#msg260280

Quarlow

devo how do you deal with the burner creating ash out of the burn wood? My dad would burn his wood to ash and that as we now know is the bad part. Plus it does give off an acrid taste.

OBS
BBQ

devo

I never did build one. Never found the time but the fellow who gave me the plans swears by his. I think Kirby (pickman_95) use's a very simular setup for the burner but i'm not sure. Maybe they use pellets instead of wood.

Quarlow

Oh my mistake I thought that was your build. I guess I should have looked closer. I think I would go with the Bradley SG. It is a clean simple set up.

OBS
BBQ