COLS SMOKE ADAPTER

Started by Jim O, July 11, 2011, 09:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim O

I want to make a cold smoke adapter.

What cords do I need to plug in to get it to work?

Thanks

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

muebe

No cords are needed. You are simply moving the puck burner out of the cabinet. You can use some flexible aluminum dryer vent hose and just a cardboard box. Others have used a mailbox.

Here is a pic of mine. I used a cat B vent y-pipe. The spent pucks drop down into the water bowl below from the down tube. Smoke goes up the pipe and does not come back out the down tube because of the heat rising up the tube from the puck burner. The copper heatsinks and fan help remove the excessive heat when I am cold smoking. Simple but effective ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Quarlow

Very innovative Muebe. Nice work. Very cool setup, pun intended.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Ka Honu

I'm still waiting for him to fabricate the next generation model (think refrigeration coils and a "dial-a-puck" feeder coming from the bisquette storage area, all controlled from a smartphone).  Then he can work on the direct feed from the butcher and cheesemonger and the "box to vac pac to fridge/freezer" automation.

Habanero Smoker

It depends on what model you have. If you have one of the digital you need to get an extra long sensor wire that will reach from the back of the cabinet to the location of your generator.

When you order the cold smoke adapter from Bradley, they don't include a longer cord, instead they include a sensor bypass.

Pensrock posted instructions on how to make a bypass (read the entire thread, there may be more information):
Cold Smoker Bypass

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muebe

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 11, 2011, 01:05:13 PM
I'm still waiting for him to fabricate the next generation model (think refrigeration coils and a "dial-a-puck" feeder coming from the bisquette storage area, all controlled from a smartphone).  Then he can work on the direct feed from the butcher and cheesemonger and the "box to vac pac to fridge/freezer" automation.

:D :D :D ;D

A fridge/Bradley combo! Great idea Turtle ;)
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Jim O

Thanks for the help guys !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

OldHickory

Quote from: muebe on July 11, 2011, 10:18:22 AM
No cords are needed. You are simply moving the puck burner out of the cabinet. You can use some flexible aluminum dryer vent hose and just a cardboard box. Others have used a mailbox.

Here is a pic of mine. I used a cat B vent y-pipe. The spent pucks drop down into the water bowl below from the down tube. Smoke goes up the pipe and does not come back out the down tube because of the heat rising up the tube from the puck burner. The copper heatsinks and fan help remove the excessive heat when I am cold smoking. Simple but effective ;D

Very inovative and neatly done.  Nice job Muebe.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

mrphilips

hey.... yeah. likewise.
very clever and inovative.

how long is your pipe?
i realize... that's too personal.

see, i don't have a garage or basement to set up in, so i'm trying to make a cold-smoke adapter that i can just assemble/disassemble as needed. your y-tube is genious, as is the heat-sink and fan.... but i'm torn between doing what you've done, or just using a longer pipe... easier than yours, but perhaps harder to store. and would it just produce staler smoke? and less strong smoke i imagine, as everything gets coated with smoke-film, therefore longer pipe = less smoke flavour... ok, so i guess i'm lazy.

what percentage of cooling do you think your innovations have produced:
the y-tube and pipe visable in the picture is enough to provide a lot of cooling alone...
but how much more piping is there?
and did you take measurements before adding the copper sinks or fan?

...i want to do the minimum to the maximum effect.
i said i was lazy, but damn i like cheese.

viper125

I like that y pipe idea! Been running some ideas for a new setup. I already have a chimney going out of the garage. I want to move the smoke generator a way for cold smoking also. Just so many ways I havn't locked down on one yet.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

muebe

Here is another picture I had from further back so you can see where the pipe comes through the shelf and attaches to flexible piping that goes into the Bradley cabinet. The blue box that is attached to the pipe left of the heatsink is a thermostat. I can have the fan come on and off as the pipe gets hot. This way it is cooled but not over-cooled. I get a great burn on the puck and almost no heat into the cabinet ;)

Quarlow

Here is cool set up which you can set up and take down in minutes mrhilips
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16207.msg194162#msg194162
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mrphilips

yeah, i sorta made one of those with by BPS...
the BPS burns much hotter than the OBS as you need both burners on and they are open flame. it ended up singing the aluminum flexitube i had installed.
also, my tin snipping is poor, and there was smoke leakage.

but now i have the OBS and want to make one - i want to use metallic tape to seal, but i don't know if the burner gets too hot for that. i also wasn't sure the silicone would be flavourless and last with all that heat - casue i can taste all the aluminum when it gets hot enough (again, BPS burner hotter).

i like the mailbox, but i also like this last design due to the lack of seals...

mrphilips

muebe, what temp range does your blue box regulate around...
how hot do you let it get before it comes on?

(i've gone with your y-pipe method, but i'm wondewring what to expect WITHOUT the heatsinks and fan...)

mrphilips

oooh! also, this is all 4", right?
the 4" y-pipe barely slides over the end of the burner-plate, snugly scraping the inside actually...
i wasn't sure if that was ok or not or if i've gone with the wrong size tubing - i thought the tight fit might heat-sink the plate too much, resulting in under-burned bisquettes?