COLS SMOKE ADAPTER

Started by Jim O, July 11, 2011, 09:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

Quote from: mrphilips on October 13, 2011, 05:26:17 PM
muebe, what temp range does your blue box regulate around...
how hot do you let it get before it comes on?

(i've gone with your y-pipe method, but i'm wondewring what to expect WITHOUT the heatsinks and fan...)

The box is a attic fan switch. It has a temp range of 60F to 120F. I only turn it on when I am cold smoking. I usually set it to 80F-90F if I am using it. That way I do not cool the pipe down too much and lessen the puck burn.

The heat-sink is simply copper pipe straps for holding pipe to a wall.

I just screwed them directly to the pipe and they wisk away the excess heat. I picked up a bag of 30 clamps for less than $6

I would say to at least install the heat-sinks.

And yes it is 4 inch piping..

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mrphilips

Smoking Alligator

I did the mail box cold smokebox... works like a charm... it actually has a strong smoke smell which is wonderful

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mikecorn.1

I just saw a pair of unicorns feeding in my back yard ;) :D  I forgot to take a pic :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

viper125

I'm going to get a permanent Set up in corner of garage. Want to cold smoke also. Was thinking of this or the mail box. Problem is I like the Bradley way after re-looking at it. The pipe mounts to cabinet like the smoker. This allows you to remove cold smoking house ant just throw the smoke generator back on. Since we all know they get some heat from the smoke Generator I don't know if it would be harder hot smoking in winter. If I make one I like to have the lugs to mount smoker on and a plate to mount on lugs for pipe. Can't seem to find a metal box I like to make one. Might just make my own box. Any ideas along that line?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

GusRobin

if you install the second element (or the 900 watt element) that others have, then you don't have to worry about the extra heat from the generator. You could then have a permanent set up. The less you have to move stuff around the better.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

Well I bought an extra element and haven't used it. So that may be a better idea. Will look into that to. Thanks!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mrphilips

muebe... i tried your design.
i excluded the heat sinks for the moment, but will add them if it seems necessary after some heat tests.

problem right away: my smoke is really backing up into the generator!

there seems to be almost 30% loss from there... am i missing something from your design?

see these pics:

any suggestions? does this happen when you run yours?

Quarlow

Do you have your vent open?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mrphilips

actually on further thought, i'm going to say i'm losing at least 50% of the smoke... it's just not being pulled up into to the chamber.
the vent is half-open on the chamber.

so far the temp has got to 87 max in there and it's 60 out... so the smoke has upped the oven less than 30 degress... that'll be a problem in the summer when it's 80 out, so maybe i will need a heat sink on top by then, but right now this is acceptible.

GusRobin

you don't want the smoke backing up into the generator as sooner or later it will get "gummy" in there. Try with your vent wide open.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mrphilips

subtle difference wit the vent full-open.
not much though.
temp dropped a bit too, which is good - but this is a waste of smoke and as GR just pointed out, not good for the generator.

i don't get it... muebe suggested the smoke draws it'self up due to being heated, but this is definitely not working in my setup... scratching my head trying to figure out what i've done differently.

muebe

The problem you have is that your generator is level. If your look at my picture you will see that I have mine lifted on the generator pipe side slightly so the smoke can rise and draw. The smoke is going to travel the path of least resistance. With yours level the easiest path is back out the generator. So prop up the end with some blocks and that will solve your problem. It does not need to be a really high angle...just not level ;)
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

muebe

And also when the air is cold in the pipe you can get some smoke coming back out...but no where near what I am seeing in your pictures. Once the air warms up in the pipe there will be less resistance from the cold air forcing down. The natural rise from the heat will create a drafting effect. And try to make the rise of the pipe as straight up as possible for a better draw.