COLS SMOKE ADAPTER

Started by Jim O, July 11, 2011, 09:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrphilips

ok... like a chimney.
i will give it another test.

is there any sort of seal or anything on the smokey-end of you pipe or is all based on the draw?
thing is i'm doing this in a slight breeze, i wonder if the moving air is reducing the natural draw.

muebe

I do not have a seal and just buts up against the generator housing... but keep in mind that mine is also located in a cabinet and is not affected by the wind. You might have air traveling up the drop tube causing the smoke to back out. I think you just do not have enough of a angle and if you raise the end it should fix the problem.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mrphilips

let's see if this helps...

the ceramic tray from the bottom of a flower pot is propping the unit up about 0.5"
the chunk of 2x4 is just there to help keep the pipe angled.

will confirm in an hour or so...

muebe

BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mrphilips

thanks dude! excited to see the results.

on a related topic, i wish the transparent aluminum scotty uses in that star trek movie about the whales was available... i want to see in that pipe!
i think i was getting a fire-in-the-hole scenario... flaming pukes and a creep-back of char. when i finally disconnected everything, my pucks were showing signs of it.

we will see how the re-adjust affects this as well.

Quarlow

The problem you are having is that your pipe should go straight up from the burning puck. If you look at the bradley cold smoke box and even the cold smoke cardboard box I and others have, the pipe is right in line with the puck burner. That is how the heat of the burner creates the draw up the pipe. The hot air rises, it does not want to travel sideways. Tipping may help but you should put a 90degree turn in it as close to the burner as possible.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mrphilips

...what you're saying makes sense, but it worked for muebe, so... i can't see why it wouldn't work for me. perhaps a T-pipe on it's side would be better... a drop hole AND a chimney, with the feed in the side.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

muebe

Quote from: mrphilips on October 23, 2011, 12:58:12 PM
i think i was getting a fire-in-the-hole scenario... flaming pukes and a creep-back of char. when i finally disconnected everything, my pucks were showing signs of it.

And that is where the heatsinks help. There is a lot of heat build-up in that pipe because it is confined in that small space. The heatsinks help cool the area down above the generator heating element. I really suggest you install some heatsinks...

Quarlow

A T- pipe would work very well

OBS
BBQ

mrphilips

much better... maybe 10% loss/back-up:

perhaps i will try the t-pipe, but this is a much better result, regardless of the heat-sink issues.
(maybe i will just try the cardboard box while i'm at it too)

Quarlow

There would be a lot of heat with Muebe's set up cause you have pipe right above the burner. The cardboard box like I made from the plans of someone else never had a problem with heat as it all goes straight up the pipe. So you will need the heatsinks.
Even 10% going threw the SG is not good. You need to have no smoke coming threw that Generator.

OBS
BBQ

muebe

Here is a full view of my setup...

You can see that it leaves the generator at a slight angle and then 90 degree elbow to straight up. Then at the top there is a slight bend into the smoker.

If you get your run straight up to the smoker you should have zero smoke loss coming back out the generator. So just add a adjustable 90 degree elbow to the end then hook the flex pipe to it.

mrphilips

it's not 10% when the wind blows, it's more.
think i can clean the unit up inside if it gets too bad?

how does your cardboard box deal with the heat? how hot does your oven get (when off) with your box set-up?

mrphilips

not really sure i'm following you muebe... i don't see how the 90 degree elbow differs much from what i have at the end of mine, and if it is a bit of a sharper angle, it's certainly not by that much...
i have smoke billowing out the vents at the back of the smoke generator.
i did not get burn-back this time, but the gumminess is going to become a problem and 10-20% loss is still too much...

curious to see how hot quarlow's box leaves the smoke in the chamber... it may be easier to just use a box.
my set up has to be torn down and rebuilt every time i use it, so disposable pieces may be best anyway.