Fresh Watermelon and Basil Salad

Started by KyNola, July 12, 2011, 09:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Twice in the last 2 days while watching the Food Network I saw 2 different recipes for a Cold Watermelon salad.  I looked at them both and took what I thought would be the best of both recipes.  Made this tonight and Jan and I both found it to be a great flavor combination and incredibly refreshing after 2 days with a heat index of +115.

So here we go.  Take a very sweet watermelon.  I prefer the seedless sugar babies, the ones about the size of a volleyball.  Slice it away from the rind and cut into bite size chunks.  Next, take fresh basil leaves and slice it into ribbons or chop it.  Take the watermelon chunks and place in individual serving bowls and sprinkle the basil over the top of the watermelon.  Now, take sea salt and sprinkle it over the watermelon/basil combination.  I used sea salt for 2 reasons.  1. Sea salt does not have the "bite" of table salt and 2. you want the "crunch" of the sea salt.  If you don't have sea salt, substitute Kosher salt.

That's it folks.  3 ingredients.  The recipes called for vodka to be added and I tried it the first time.  The vodka added nothing in flavor in my opinion. 

Gizmo

I have to admit that I love watermelon with sea salt and eat it that way almost exclusively but haven't tried basil.  Have some in the garden just waiting for something for it to sit on and guess what was already on the shopping list for tomorrow  ;D.

Hmmm, I wonder if Tequila would work over the Vodka?  I have have done Rum with watermelon before.   ::)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Ky...I think we watch the same shows!!!  :D

KyNola

Quote from: Gizmo on July 12, 2011, 10:44:01 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if Tequila would work over the Vodka?  I have have done Rum with watermelon before.   ::)
Giz, believe it or not the other recipe called for Tequila rather than Vodka! :)

SnellySmokesEm

Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

ghost9mm

Larry did ya try a little of the blue mountain on the watermelon...nah...that don't even sound good...lol... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Tenpoint5

Sea Salt and a light dusting of Chili Powder. Has been my go to for some time.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gizmo

Quote from: KyNola on July 13, 2011, 06:41:30 AM
Giz, believe it or not the other recipe called for Tequila rather than Vodka! :)

I can believe it.
First off, the watermelon was not cold and I prefer it to be real cold.
The fresh basil was interesting but can't say I would use it again.  The dipping sauce I had was very good and will use as a watermelon marinade in the future.  :o

Here is a picture and it did happen.   8)

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Quote from: Gizmo on July 13, 2011, 10:18:06 PM
The fresh basil was interesting but can't say I would use it again.
Sorry you didn't care for the basil Giz.  Perhaps mint would be better?  That was in the other recipe along with the tequila.

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on July 14, 2011, 07:00:42 AM
Quote from: Gizmo on July 13, 2011, 10:18:06 PM
The fresh basil was interesting but can't say I would use it again.
Sorry you didn't care for the basil Giz.  Perhaps mint would be better?  That was in the other recipe along with the tequila.
I'm thinkin' the basil would work for me!
I'd eat basil on ICE CREAM!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby