Whole pork shoulder, skin on.

Started by squirtthecat, July 15, 2011, 01:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Is there any benefit at all to leaving the skin on while smoking?

I have ~80 pounds to do next weekend, and I was thinking about trying them both ways..

Ka Honu

For smoking I remove it so I have more surface for smoke to reach and bark to form.  If my next doctor's appointment is a ways off, I make pork rinds out of the skin.  For roasting I generally leave it on and crisp it at the end.

OU812

80 lb,,,,,,,,,WOW

In the bradley I would remove it.

Takes a sharp knife and a steady hand but aint that hard, kinda like skining a deer.  ;D

Over an open pit thats a drfferent story,,, leave it on, the skin becomes the bark.

KyNola

Cut it off  Pat.  There is a load of fat underneath that you will want to trim as well if it is the shoulders I brought up in June.

SiFumar

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 15, 2011, 01:41:17 PM
For smoking I remove it so I have more surface for smoke to reach and bark to form.  If my next doctor's appointment is a ways off, I make pork rinds out of the skin.  For roasting I generally leave it on and crisp it at the end.

I agree.....but throw the skins in to smoke also....makes for real tasty pork rinds.  Smoke stays while frying.

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on July 15, 2011, 02:25:39 PM
Cut it off  Pat.  There is a load of fat underneath that you will want to trim as well if it is the shoulders I brought up in June.
Ditto.
Same as a butt...  Just gonna slide off in a SHEET later if you don't.
Rub won't get in, and if it even looks like bark --- it ain't.
Trim it.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat