Biggest salmon I ever smoked

Started by Smokeville, July 15, 2011, 03:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

A friend is having an engagement party for her daughter this Sunday and I offered to do some salmon..... Got the biggest fillets I could find -- 4.5lb each.

Smoked with alder according to Kummok's timings, and here's the result. Final IT of 140F. The salmon is darker in the photo than up close and personal.... My challenge is how to taste it without ruining it!

This is a bit closer to the real colour. Fuzzy photo due to dirty lens....

ghost9mm

WOW !!! now that really looks killer, slice a piece off the end, no one will say anything.... :D
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

muebe

Looks like they came out great ;)

Just go ahead and sneak a piece and then when they ask what happened just tell em "Well....a fork accidentally fell on it and pulled off a chunk" ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Quarlow

You missed the one step that is most important when smoking fish for someone else. Always keep a peice aside for ....taste testing...yeah that's it taste testing. Nice looking salmon but did I see some pin bones sticking out or is that just cause the fricken screen on this notebook is to dang small.  :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

The salmon looks great.

I would go to the thickess end, about 1/4" to 1/2" from the bottom slice a piece on an inward diagonal. The when you present it, build parsely and lemon slices around the salmon; this should hide the area you took a test taste from.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 16, 2011, 01:45:39 AM
The salmon looks great.

I would go to the thickess end, about 1/4" to 1/2" from the bottom slice a piece on an inward diagonal. The when you present it, build parsely and lemon slices around the salmon; this should hide the area you took a test taste from.

This sounds like the voice of experience talking!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Keymaster

Very Nice Job on that Salmon!!!!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 16, 2011, 06:40:44 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 16, 2011, 01:45:39 AM
The salmon looks great.

This sounds like the voice of experience talking!!

Not that much experience. I took a food enthusiast class at the CIA and retained a few things that I learned from that class. Although if they saw my comment they would have thought they failed in trying to teach me something.  :) Those chefs strongly believe you do not put a garnish on the plate unless it is part of the meal. The lemons would be alright, but I would be scolded for using the parsley.  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

HS, you are a genus. I wish I had thought of that. However, I did figure out that the CIA you mentioned is not the one at Langley......

My friend came to pick them up and she oooohhhhhdddddd and aaaaaaawwwwweeeeedddd a lot and then she suggested we give it a try, so we took some off the end of the tail. Dear me, it was so amazingly good that we all had to have some more.

And I know why: the store I bought them from took a whole salmon and filleted it themselves. They were as fresh as possible here in Ontario. Most pre-butchered fish comes in 10lb cases and is 3-4 days old.

Rich

Smokeville

Quote from: Quarlow on July 15, 2011, 10:49:40 PM
You missed the one step that is most important when smoking fish for someone else. Always keep a peice aside for ....taste testing...yeah that's it taste testing. Nice looking salmon but did I see some pin bones sticking out or is that just cause the fricken screen on this notebook is to dang small.  :D :D :D

Those pin bones you saw were toothpicks I put in all 3 pieces of one fillet of fish so I could reassemble them later.

I did have to take all the pin bones out, though. The fish guy at the store didn't do it for a variety of reasons I disagreed with.

Rich

Quarlow

Ok so it was this dam little screen then.  :D :D :D Nice work Smokeville.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

grnhs

Those are very nice,
are they skin on?
Just curious, that's the way I do mine to make it easier to get them off of the rack.

West Coast Kansan

very nice... Including the color!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Quarlow

Looks like the skin is on. That is the normal way, which isn't to say it can't be done with the skin off. Some here have.

OBS
BBQ