ground venison jerky

Started by telman, July 16, 2011, 09:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

telman

Hello All,

I just picked up a jerky gun and would like to try make ground venison jerky for a first time. I have been following recipes from the book, and making strip jerky till now.  Some of the recipes require vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
I was wondering If amount of liquid ingredients need to change for ground jerky? Also do you let mixed ground meat seat for 24 hours before extruding?

Thank you,

Telman

josbocc

Telman,

IMHO I've found that using ground venison yields poor results for jerky.  I've had a lot of guys at work ask me to make jerky out of their venison, and my reply has been "Only if I cut it 50/50 with regular burger."  Venison is really too lean to make ground jerky.  Even with a 50/50 mix of beef, you have to be extra cautious of your drying time to avoid turning your jerky into cardboard.  If you get it right, it's awesome, but if you get it wrong, you've got dog treats at best.

Stick with slicing your venison for jerky, or cut it with something that has a slight fat content.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

wthr_dude

I have made countless pounds of plain old ground deer and antelope into jerky.  I have never tried it in the smoker yet but it comes out good in a dehydrator.

We usually use it to get rid of all the scrap meat that we grind up over the year.  I like using the High Mountain mixes (im sure any of the permades will work for quick and simple recipies) but be very careful not to use very much of the cure packages because it will be way to salty.  I also use lots and lots of water when mixing in my dry ingredients.  It is very easy to overcook it but if it is done right there is no need to mix any beef or pork to make good jerky from ground venison.

NePaSmoKer

Just watch the liquid content. To much and you will have blow outs in the ground jerky

telman

Thank you all,

Jeff, I agree. it make sense... Wthr_dude, I hear you. I will get a dehydrator this fall :).

Telman

telman

Thanks Nepas, I have not tried your wet marinade yet, but I promise I will soon :). When you are making ground jerky are you tweaking a bit? like removing distilled water or reducing amount of soy sauce? Since added ingredients remain in the mixture I am not sure if ratio has to be changed.

OU812

I do jerky with 100% ground deer all the time and have never had a bad batch.

Just sayin.

pikeman_95

I have done many batches of 100% ground venison jerky. We usually do 50# batches. My next try is going to be Greg's Spicy sticks. I intend to substitute some of the salt in the recipe with Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki. If you want your jerky to turn out chewy and leathery add the same amount of meat cure that you would use in the recipes meat sticks. The cure breaks down the meat protein which recombines when the jerky is heated in the smoker. Give your jerky a good smoke but for best results finish in a dehydrator. Do not rush it in the dehydrator and check it frequently. I consider it done when I give it a twist it feels like shoe leather. Do not dry it until it snaps.

Kirby