My Bottom Front Plate Mod on My OBS

Started by muebe, July 16, 2011, 07:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

My bottom front plate was cracking and becoming weak as others have. So I removed the plastic one and made my own aluminum one using some leftover parts for my shed floor kit. Since I have the PID I decided to omit the temp slider and install a on/off switch in its place from my old Traeger 3 position thermostat. I had to do some cutting to make it work but I think it looks pretty good. I ran a bead of silicone at the top so liquids will not go inside. It was painted with High-Temp black paint.

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Wow If you didn't know it was a mod you couldn't tell. Nice work.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

ghost9mm

Well done my friend, very professional...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Keymaster

Nice job muebe!!!! I think in October on my wifes Birthday to be exact , my warranty will expire and I will add a element or the 900 watt-er when mine fails.

stxhunter

Very nice!  Forgive me for the dumb question, but how did you hook up the wiring for the on off switch?

muebe

Quote from: stxhunter on July 17, 2011, 08:03:47 PM
Very nice!  Forgive me for the dumb question, but how did you hook up the wiring for the on off switch?

The connectors that were attached to the slider heat control pull right off and attach directly to the switch. I was going to just re-install the light but I had the switch leftover and I figured it would be good when I am cold smoking and still want to use the PID to monitor cabinet temps. I can just shut the power off to the element and leave my convection fan on since it is powered by my PID instead of having to reach in the back and unplug it ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

stxhunter

I guess what I was trying to say was is the blue wire the hot wire and the white wire the neutral?

MidKnightRider

way to go muebe, when do you start production?  :D
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist