1st Attempt at Hillbilly Jerky

Started by DTAggie, July 16, 2011, 08:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

Finally got around to trying NePas hillbilly jerky recipe.  Did nuggets and and strips.  Cut the beef up last night and let marinate over night.  Used 5 pucks of hickory at 150* then to 170* until done.  I have to say, it is a very good recipe.  Cannot keep my son out of it. 

Rick:  If I wanted to kick up the spice some, what would you recommend on a 5 lb. recipe?

Strips ready to go in

Nuggets ready for some love

Strips all done

Nuggets.  Son and daughter were suprised how tender the nuggets are even though they look very dry.

classicrockgriller

Man, that is awesome looking.

Very Nice.

West Coast Kansan

looks just right... nice job.  8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

NePaSmoKer

Red pepper flakes or Jalapeno powder.

BTW

Glad to see you back posting.

Nice jerky chunks

OU812

That all looks gooood!

I've got some trimmings from the last side of New York's I got, might havta try some nuggets.

DTAggie

I am surprised, I think I actually like the nuggets better and both kinds were all cut from the same beef.

Tenpoint5

Looks really good DT! Have the kids put the hammer to the nuggets already? must be time to make more by now.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

DTAggie

10.5 - Son is doing serious damage.  Had to bring some to work so I could enjoy.

SnellySmokesEm

Nice Job!  I have been re-reading all the jerky post over the last couple of days.  I am going to do a trial run this weekend.  So whats the best cut of beef to use?  Eye of round?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

KyNola

Matt,
I use top round at the suggestion of my butcher.  He makes tons of sausage and jerky so I'll take his word for it.  I've used eye of round too.  It works well.

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks!  I see that Nepa uses London Broil.  Isnt that top round? 
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

DTAggie

I used Top Round.  I see where Muebe uses the beef for stew from Costco for his nuggets.  Might try that when I do some Muebe nugets here shortly.

wetzel1977

I use Eye roast works great for me
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder