How Do you Compensate Cook Time With Heat Loss

Started by thirtydaZe, July 16, 2011, 11:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirtydaZe

Ok, today is Rib day for me and the wife.  Seems whenever i do Ribs I have a heat loss/recovery issue.

So today it's a balmy 93* outside, smoker in the shade, I preheated to 250* for about 2 hours before putting the ribs in.

I am cooking 1½ racks of ribs, upon getting the smoker loaded, and the door closed, i went from 250* to 187*
30 minutes into my cook and i'm sitting at 196*.

Do you wait until you reheat to the full 225* before you starting counting the time on the 3-2-1 method? or just go longer in the end?

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

West Coast Kansan

Temps can be frustrating,,, ::) but not that big of a deal.  :) The temp lose is largely going into the meat.   My advice is to not sweat the temps.  You are in the 3 part and it will take the smoke a bit better / longer coming up to temp slower.

The most important portion of the rib show is at the end and knowing when they are done.  Meat pulled back from the end of the bone about a 1/4 inch and meat loosens slightly in response to a twisting of the bone = done.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

GusRobin

also make sure you vent is not closed and trapping in the moisture. just do the 3-2-1 or 3-1-1 and adjust at the end  as West Coast said
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill