Whole chickens when to transfer to the oven???

Started by radamo, July 17, 2011, 09:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radamo

I am doing a pair of whole chickens today.  I was thinking of taking them out of the smoker after they get to 140 and transfer to the oven to crisp up the skin.  Is 140 the right temp for this?  They are about 5 lbs each and I was hoping that I could put them in the oven at 350 for 45 mins. or so to get the skin crispy.  Any tips on timing or temps?
Thanks,
RA

muebe

At 130F IT is when I usually transfer my chicken to TBE so 140F should be fine ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

GusRobin

or you can transfer after you are done with the smoking part of the cook. After that the Bradley is just an oven.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smokeville

Regardless of what IT they are when you put them in the oven, the final IT should be 165F in the breasts and thighs.

Sometimes the meat closer to the bone will be red or even bloody. If you have made certain the IT is 165F, it will be safe to eat, although most folks think it is underdone. That's probably why the old guidelines said cook to an IT of 180F and hopefully enjoy dry chicken!

Rich

radamo

Smokeville

As much as I love smoked fish and beef, I don't think I enjoy anything more than smoked chicken. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

If you can find 7lb roasting chickens, give them a shot. They will end up around 5.5lb after smoking and are about the best thing you will ever eat.

Rich

smoker pete

Quote from: GusRobin on July 17, 2011, 11:54:08 AM
or you can transfer after you are done with the smoking part of the cook. After that the Bradley is just an oven.

I agree with Gus ... I would smoke the chicken for 2 hours, vent wide open, and finish it off in the oven at 350ºF until an IT of 165ºF in the thickest part of the breast.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

OU812

Quote from: smoker pete on July 18, 2011, 08:35:23 AM
Quote from: GusRobin on July 17, 2011, 11:54:08 AM

I agree with Gus ... I would smoke the chicken for 2 hours, vent wide open, and finish it off in the oven at 350ºF until an IT of 165ºF in the thickest part of the breast.

Yep,,,,, thats what I do, smoke 2 hr, after the smoke straight to the high heat, I use TBE.

Or if I'm doin more than one bird its the rotisserie on the grill, dont use the oven much in the summer.

How did your birds turn out for ya?

larryk

mikecorn.1

Quote from: larryk on March 18, 2012, 05:06:55 PM
Ok, I'm new here. What's TBE?
Charbroil's The Big Easy (TBE)  Also the SRG (smoker roaster griller) this is the bigger one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike