To mop, or not to mop, that is the question

Started by gflande1, July 18, 2011, 04:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gflande1

My first post, please forgive me.

Received my propane Bradley from Amazon this weekend. Couldnt decide if I wanted to start with pulled pork, ribs, or chicken. So Im doing all three. Think I will start with the Boston Butt and a half Chicken first, then put the ribs on when the Butt comes off (tomorrow if its too late). The Butt will go on the second from top rack, the chicken on either the bottom, or one up from bottom.

I cleaned the Butt and the ribs up last night, lightly slathered with EVOO then the rub. For my first Bradley smoke, I decided on Oink'r Rub (a.k.a. Alaskan Butt Blast). Hope it comes out well.

From what I understand, I will be safe at 225F for all three. I will smoke the Butt to 195F, the chicken for one hour, and the ribs I will do the 3-2-1 method. I plan on finishing the pulled pork with Steven Raichlen's North Carolina Vinegar Sauce (always like his sauces, so to speak). I will also serve Steve's Basic Barbecue Sauce on the side.

Anyway, on to the question. Do I need to mop either the Butt or Ribs while they cook? Also, should I have anything in the drip pan, or leave it dry?

Please let me know if you see anything unusual in my post, I am a newbie with the Bradly, and a novice with charcoal.

Thanks,
Glen

Habanero Smoker

I don't have the propane model, but I do not mop. One I don't find it necessary in the Bradley, and secondly you loose a lot of heat each time you lift the cover, and you will extend your cooking time. Since you are doing multiply items, when you take the chicken out, the cover is off so mopping would not hurt at that point.

For the ribs since you are doing the 3-2-1 method mopping would not be necessary, but you may want to put the sauce on at the end, or if you finish on the grill at that time. When you foil the ribs, you could mop the butt again since the cover is off.

Never leave the drip bowl dry. It is there not only to extinguish the bisquettes, but also to prevent grease fires, so you should refresh the bowl with water every 4 - 6 hours (another opportunity to mop).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)